Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Praful M Kelkar
Dr. Praful M Kelkar, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Minneapolis, MN. He has 31 years of experience. His specialties include Clinical Neurophysiology, Neuromuscular Medicine, Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Kelkar is affiliated with United Hospital, Fairview Ridges Hospital and Abbott Northwestern Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Praful M Kelkar has the following 4 specialties
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Neuromuscular Medicine
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine Disorder
- Myasthenia Gravis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
Dr. Kelkar is one of those exceedingly bright doctors who, in spite of that, does not talk down to you. He is professional but friendly and willing to explain options, show and explain test results. While he makes recommendations, he also allows you to have some say in your care. He didn't beat around the bush about my MS diagnosis - which I appreciated. I highly recommend Dr. Kelkar. One advisory, your appointments with him likely won't start right on time. But the lake view at the Golden Valley office is beautiful and relaxing, and once you do get in to see him, your time won't feel rushed. Personally, I am fine with that.
His demeanor was very negative. Then he would not answer my questions about why he was recommending the things that he was. That left me confused about why / what I should do and scared because of the tone of the visit. I NEVER went back and now have a wonderful new neurologist who is positive and can communicate with patients.
Dr. Kelkar is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
31 Years Experience
University Of Mumbai
Graduated in 1987
University Of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Dr. Praful M Kelkar accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- BCBS MN Blue Cross Accord
- BCBS MN BluePrint
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
HealthPartners - MN
- HealthPartners MN CareChoices
- HealthPartners MN CentraChoice
- HealthPartners MN Distinctions II
- HealthPartners Open Access
- Medica Fairview and N Memorial Vantage
- Medica ParkNicollet First
- Preferred One PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Medica Choice
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMinneapolis Clinic of Neurology, 4225 Golden Valley Rd, Minneapolis, MN
Dr. Praful M Kelkar is similar to the following 0 Doctors near Minneapolis, MN.