Dr. Rafael Piedra Is this you?

3.1

Have you seen Dr. Rafael Piedra?

Piedra was the worst part of my hospital stay

Posted on June 3rd, 2015

I was admitted to Edward Hospital's surgical care unit via the ER with severe abdominal pain. I went thru a number of doctors with no diagnosis and ended up under consultation of a GI doctor. Half a day goes by and Piedra shows up. He begins with, "Why are you here?" Which is stupid question after 10 hours various tests (including two CTs) and lots of waiting. I explained my symptoms (again) and he quickly diagnosed me as having IBS related to perhaps eating too much fiber recently. He arrogantly went on to say I was wasting a hospital bed and shouldn't be in there at all and was going to discharge me with a sheet about IBS - - even though I was still in a sustained amount of discomfort. An hour later, instead of discharge paperwork, a nurse came in with a new test result and said I had c. diff! And I never saw Piedra again, which was fine by me! Another GI showed up since my stay was extended another day until I stabilized. I was supposed to follow-up with Piedra in the weeks after, but I obviously chose someone else.

Posted on April 22nd, 2012

He helped me through a rough pregnancy with a major Crohn's flare up; directed me to someone when he knew he needed assistance, instead of treating me like a guinea pig. Once I was under control (years later), I went back. He met my daughter, remembered us, and was genuinely happy to see us. Good man.

Lacks Bedside Manner

Posted on September 3rd, 2010

I felt I was treated like a number and not like a person, or for that matter, a paying customer. No substantive conversation with the patient, no discussion of options. I would never allow a friend to go to this doctor.

Posted on September 12th, 2017