Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Rakesh R Chawla
Dr. Rakesh R Chawla, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fort Wayne, IN, with another office in Fort Wayne, IN. He has 24 years of experience. His specialties include Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Chawla is affiliated with Berger Hospital and Riverside Methodist Hospital. Dr. Chawla has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Rakesh R Chawla has the following 3 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Heart Block
- Unstable Angina
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
Dr. Chawla has outstanding qualifications. He always spends as much time with us as we need, never rushes us.He answers all of our questions. He is always very, very thorough. His staff is warm and friendly, and always get back to us with answers to our questions. He has been our cardiologist for some time now and we are very satisfied with him and his staff.
He answered all of my questions and was very thorough
Patients' Choice Award (2010)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Chawla is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
24 Years Experience
Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University
Graduated in 1994
Ucsf Medical Center
Dr. Rakesh R Chawla accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem Blue Preferred HMO
- Anthem IN Pathway X Bronze Direct CACA HIX
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- Ambetter from MHS HIX
Encore Health Network
- Encore Health Network
- First Health PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- IU Health EMPLOYER PLAN
Medical Mutual of Ohio
- MMOH SuperMed POS Select
- Multiplan PPO
PHP Northern IN
- PHP Select with Encircle
- Sagamore Plus
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Rakesh R Chawla in this video.
Dr. Rakesh R Chawla is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Fort Wayne, IN.