Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Ralph Cohen has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Ralph Cohen has the following 14 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Depressive Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
Dr. Ralph Cohen has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Ralph Cohen is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
Dr. Cohen diagnosed me with bipolar disorder and proceeded to over-medicate me to the point that I couldn't drive safely or stay awake at work. I was on seven different drugs, at one point, and gained 60 pounds. He warned me that if I stopped taking them I would be "in trouble with the police," when I've never had a run-in with the police in my life. I had a terrible temper at the time, and feel I was punished for that. He has a very good "bedside manner," which made it easier to convince me to do as he said for such a long time. I'd advise people to listen to their own common sense when dealing with this man. Or don't deal with him at all; there are plenty of psychiatrists out there, if that's what you need.
Dr. Cohen is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Baystate Medical Center
Holyoke Hospital Inc
48 Years Experience
University Of Colorado School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1965
Lac Usc Medical Center
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsRalph L Cohen MD, 664 Main St, Amherst, MA
Dr. Ralph Cohen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Amherst, MA.