The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer, including signs, symptoms & what happens to the body in each stage of cancer.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. W Chitwood Jr
Dr. W Chitwood Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Greenville, NC. He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Vascular Surgery and Thoracic Surgery. Dr. Chitwood is affiliated with Bertie Memorial Hospital, Heritage Hospital and Chowan Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. W Chitwood Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Vascular Surgery
Vascular surgeons treat and manage disorders in your veins, arteries and your lymphatic system to ensure blood circulation in your heart and in brain is the best it can be. They're well-versed on how your vascular system works with the rest of your body and they can treat conditions that may cause blockages or buildup.
They can perform many of the same diagnostic testing as interventional radiologists can, such as angiography and MRIs. In addition to diagnosis, they provide critical care and treatment for aneurysms, artery blockages and trauma injuries that involve your veins. They can also help patients manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol as well as treat artery disease. Treatment for more serious cases might include bypass surgery or surgery to remove plaque.
- Thoracic Surgery
If you need surgery to treat a complication in your chest, which includes your lungs, esophagus, diaphragm and heart, your doctor will refer you to a thoracic surgeon. They’re trained to offer surgical treatment for tumors and abnormalities in these areas as well as respiratory and heart conditions like lung cancer, heart disease and diseases in the diaphragm.
Thoracic surgeons are similar to heart surgeons, except they have additional training in the entire cardiorespiratory system and in how your blood vessels work with your lungs and airways. They’re also trained on catheters used in the chest, as well as cardiac and respiratory support systems that might be part of your treatment plan.
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Surgical Procedures
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB)
- Coronary Artery Bypass (Heart Bypass)
- Coronary Disease
- Endoscopy (Endoscopic Surgery)
- Heart Diseases
- Heart Surgery (Cardiovascular Surgical Procedures)
- Heart Valve Diseases
- Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Mitral Valve Insufficiency
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Surgical Wound Infection
- Vascular Surgical Procedures
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 8
Dr. Chitwood's vast experience in robotically assisted mitral valve repair convinced me even before I got the appointment. Everything went so smoothly. The surgery went extremely well, and my recovery is nearly complete. Dr. Chitwood's advice was correct, his bedside manner just what I needed, and his surgical skill is fantastic. Followup visit was terrific. The ECHI is an incredible institution. The facilities are world class, as is the staff at all levels. Dr. Chitwood is director - and deservably gets the credit for the whole experience that I received. I am very blessed to have a new lease on life as a healthy, active 54 year old. I am not 8 weeks out of surgery, but I can already swim 1000 yards, bike 22 miles and jog 4 miles (on separate days). In a few months, I'll be doing triathlons again - thanks to Dr. Chitwood!
Dr. Chitwood is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Bertie Memorial Hospital
Pitt County Memorial Hospital
Pitt County Memorial Hospital - Univ Health System East Carolina
39 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1974
Duke University Medical Center
Dr. W Chitwood Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsW Randolph Chitwood Jr MD, 146 E Longmeadow Rd, Greenville, NC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. W Chitwood Jr in this video.
Dr. W Chitwood Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Greenville, NC.