Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Raveen Mehendru has the following 3 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Geriatric Medicine
A geriatric specialist is a physician who treats the elderly population and the conditions that most commonly affect them. These doctors have special training in the effects of aging on the body and mind of a patient.
Geriatric specialists treat common ailments faced by senior citizens, such as frailty, incontinence, memory problems, arthritis, senility, decreased functioning and more.
In addition, geriatric specialists keep abreast of the different medications that an elderly person is prescribed to treat their more complex health issues in order to decrease adverse side effects and avoid dangerous drug interactions.
- Cognitive Issues/Testing
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Urinary Incontinence
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Dementia Testing
- EOL Care
- Depressive Disorder
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 5
I found Dr. Mehendru to be very accommodating in-spite of my inability to keep regular appointments due to the depression and memory loss I suffered. What I found most helpful was the feeling that he was working WITH me not directing or ordering me. Our only disagreement was when I wanted to complete the last 2 of 6 ECT sessions on an outpatient basis rather than inpatient. I opted discharge and foregoing the last 2 sessions.
I had a terrible experience with this doctor when I was in the IOL. He spent all of 15 minutes with me for the 6 days I was there and did nothing productive. I was sent to the facility on a PEC for suicidal ideation. When I inquired about getting probate form PC 802 to request a hearing with a probate judge he told me that if I filled out the form he would have to keep me there longer. I had to have an attorney come to the facility with forms as the facility would not give them to me. Imagine that once they attorney showed uo the staff magically appeared with the forms and told me I was going to be discharged the next day. What a coincidence! The IOL staff was equally as bad, condescending nurses, a social worker who made assumptions and treated me with little respect. All I can say is thank God I have friends who are lawyers and showed up and called on the day of discharge to make sure that I was being discharged when they said I would be. I shutter to think of what would have happened to me with the intervention of attorneys.
The majority of the rating questions do not apply as this was a treatment center. Dr. Mehendru would make a better prison warden than a doctor. I was at the Institute of Living following an extensive and live changing illness which obliterated my career and lifestyle, my 20 year marriage was about to end in divorce and I'd just attempted suicide. Dr. Mehendru simply berated me for abusing pain medication. I only wish that had been my only problem. This woman was completely clueless. Thank goodness I am now three years out from that terrible experience and fully recovered from my depression and my "addiction". I feel sorry for anyone that has to have Mehendru as a physician - she's heartless.
The Institute Of Living
Dr. Raveen Mehendru accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem CT Pathway X Enhanced Ind HMO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
- Anthem Pathway X Ind PPO Direct Access CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsThe Institute Of Living, 200 Retreat Ave, Hartford, CT
Dr. Raveen Mehendru is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Hartford, CT.