Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard I Altesman has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Richard I Altesman has the following 12 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Clinical Depression
Dr. Richard I Altesman is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 28
This doctor berated my son for fifteen minutes and then called us in and berated all of us. He refused to treat me son for really bizarre reasons. We only went there because they took our insurance. He made my son feel like crap. I have never had a more unprofessional experience with a doctor in my life. Avoid this man at all costs.
Terrible doctor. First of all he called my prescription in to my pharmacy WRONG TWICE!! I take 40 mgs of Prozac a day ( which he put me on) and he wrote for only 20 mgs once a day. So I had to pay out of pocket for my medicine since obviously I used the medicine faster than my refill and insurance would pay for. The second time it happened my pharmacy faxed the doctor to change the prescription and he never responded to them so I had to pay out of pocket AGAIN!! I am currently seeking a new psychiatrist This same visit I had along my infant son and 3 year old son. I was getting them ready to go into the office (which was taking maybe 20 seconds) and he said, "Christina please!" Then when I got into his office, my 3 year old walked over to him to say hello and he shouted, "oh stay away, stay away" (as he as moving away from my child.) my son thought he had done something wrong. He then explained he was visiting g his grandchildren and didn't want to "catch anything". Terrible bedside manner
HE IS RUDE, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT HIS PATIENTS, ONLY MONEY. I HAVE SEEN HIM MAKE KIDS CRY OR PEOPLE LEAVE HIS OFFICE WITH MORE ANXIETY THAN BEFORE GOING IN. HE REFUSES TO TALK TO ANY OF HIS PATIENTS ON THE PHONE, HE WILL NOT WRITE LETTERS FOR HIS PATIENTS FOR SCHOOL, WORK, ETC. I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER GO SEE THIS MAN AGAIN
Dr. Altesman is the most arrogant doctor I have ever met. My husband and I both saw him. He did not listen, made ignorant assumptions and was very patronizing. I had been on the same medications for at least 10 years, and was fine. He wanted me to change both my meds, and went way overboard pressing his case. I tried his suggestions and found them lacking. In the end, it was his refusal to prescribe 1 mg of conazepam, which I had found to be the only way to get to sleep at night, "because" it was a controlled substance. It worked for me, I never abused it. Too much paperwork?
42 Years Experience
University At Buffalo State University Of New York School Of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
Graduated in 1976
Schneider Childrens Hospital
Dr. Richard I Altesman accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Preferred PPO
- MVP Premier Plus HMO Small Groups
- Multiplan PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
Locations & DirectionsCarmel Psychological Associates, 667 Stoneleigh Ave Ste 202, Carmel, NY
Dr. Richard I Altesman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Carmel, NY.