Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard Cathey has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Richard Cathey has the following 7 expertise
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Dr. Richard Cathey has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 15
This is my husband's doctor and if you ask me he shouldn't be practicing medicine. My husband was having headaches every day and he told him to drink coffee. He also prescribed him antibiotics without seeing him. His answering service is horrible to say the least and he is very rude. If I could give a negative star I would!
This doctor keeps his practice going, although times are tough. I once heard the doctor being threatened by a patient because of his demand for Vicodin! The doctor assured him that they would provide the drug if it was needed. My grandfather was seeing a doctor for some time with vague complaints and although no one was able to determine the cause, this doctor made the diagnosis of Wegener's Granulomatosis, for which my grandpa was then successfully treated. I mainly see him for aches and pains and an occasional cold, but he always makes healthy lifestyle suggestions for me and my family.
I found Dr. Cathey to be of substantial help. He is present and thoughtful, and has recommended medicine and lifestyle changes that have been of great benefit with regards to Diabetes, hypoglycemia and bradycardia. His manner is kind, straightforward and the information he conveys, is easy to access. Change of diet, increased exercise, with the ultimate objective being an increase of energy, vitality, good health. Those times I have needed an appointment for acute issues, like a bladder Infection, he met me , on one of his off days, at his office, to be of service. I appreciate his professionalism and have been satisfied with his service.
Throughout the last visit, I heard the doctor speak these words to me and other patients. This doctor speaks of exercise at each visit. He continues to push me to control my diet as well, despite the fact that I have know him for over 10 years. He is well-read and keeps me abreast of changes as regards the use of my medications and other treatments. He tries to set a good example by exercising himself, and mentions his Tai Chi practice as a motivator. He does seem to perform most of the office work himself, which probably serves him well in these tough economic times.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
30 Years Experience
Medical College Of Wisconsin
Graduated in 1988
Dr. Richard Cathey accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Basic HMO
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Vitalidad Plus CA con Aetna
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsPatrick Francis Gartland Md, 175 N Jackson Ave Ste 203, San Jose, CA
Dr. Richard Cathey is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Jose, CA.