Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard D Smith has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Richard D Smith has the following 7 expertise
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Dr. Richard D Smith has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 33
My scheduled appointment wait time every month was 4 to 7 hours. Being sick and having to wait so long to see him was horrible. Dr. Doug and my neurologist could not agree and gave me conflicting medication which made my condition worse. He caters to people he can lock in on narocotic pain meds. I was told by his staff many times, when I ask why the long wait,he was home taking care of his cattle,while his office was full of waiting patients. I was ask to travel between 3 offices for appointments in different communities I counties due to patient overload.
I have always been uncomfortable complaining about anything out loud. I wasn't looking forward to have to going over my condition, but to get better I knew I would have to. Well to my worst night mare I had to do more than just explain. I had to plead and was forced to get x-rays without insurance . Although I had already had recent x-rays and all I had to do was bring them with me to my next appointment. Well the costly x-rays showed exactly what I had said they would. I had never been so out of my comfort level with a Doctor. I have another appointment but I am hesitant to go. He changed my medications the first time he met me with no questions or information about what I was being prescribed. I hope I just caught him on a bad day, I know we all have them. But having good manners, and consideration is not something that should be an issue. I am a low maintenance person, and it doesn't take much to impress me. Just a smile, and a friendly tone would have gone a long way with me. I will gladly retract my review if my next experience is much better. Otherwise I am thinking about dealing with my condition organically.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
42 Years Experience
University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1976
University Tn Grad School Of Medicine
Dr. Richard D Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Knoxville PPOx
- Humana National POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard D Smith in this video.
Dr. Richard D Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Jamestown, TN.