Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Richard Lewan Jr
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Kalaheo, HI, with other offices in Waimea, HI and Lihue, HI . He has 34 years of experience. His specialties include Family Medicine and Geriatric Medicine. Dr. Lewan is affiliated with Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
- Geriatric Medicine
A geriatric specialist is a physician who treats the elderly population and the conditions that most commonly affect them. These doctors have special training in the effects of aging on the body and mind of a patient.
Geriatric specialists treat common ailments faced by senior citizens, such as frailty, incontinence, memory problems, arthritis, senility, decreased functioning and more.
In addition, geriatric specialists keep abreast of the different medications that an elderly person is prescribed to treat their more complex health issues in order to decrease adverse side effects and avoid dangerous drug interactions.
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr has the following 1 expertise
- Alzheimer's Disease
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
Dr. Lewan was practicing at Maui Memorial Medical Center this past weekend. My 91 years friend and neighbor had a concerning event. Dr. Lewan was fully present as he interacted with all present to find out as much detail as possible. He was extraordinary in handling staff, patients (the person in the same room was also his patient) and loved ones. His understanding and knowledge of people, meds, and especially the unique needs of geriatric patients is refreshing and unique. He was spot on with the cause and treatment. Pleasant, socially conscious, scary smart, kind, gentle, and cheerful. A breath of fresh in a hospital setting.
Dr. Lewan is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital
34 Years Experience
University Of Chicago Division Of The Biological Sciences The Pritzker School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard Lewan Jr in this video.
Dr. Richard Lewan Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Kalaheo, HI.