Get the facts about indoor allergies, including symptoms, common allergens, and doctors who treat the condition.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Home Allergies Facts about indoor allergies, including symptoms & common allergens.
- Seasonal Allergies Facts about seasonal allergies, the different types and the symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard M Liu has the following 1 specialty
An otolaryngologist is more commonly referred to as an ENT, someone that can treat medical issues you may be having with you ears, nose, or throat. This is a physician who is specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions of the ear, nose, sinuses, larynx (voice box), mouth, throat, head, and neck. These doctors treat patients through both medical and surgical means. For instance, an otolaryngologist may treat an obstruction of the nasal passage, caused by malformation of the nose, through rhinoplasty.
Dr. Richard M Liu has the following 9 expertise
- Smell Disorders
- Hearing Loss
- Chronic Sinusitis
- Deviated Septum
- Swallowing Disorders
- Facial Trauma
Dr. Richard M Liu is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 34
I needed a surgery on my nose to improve my breathing and I asked if it is possible to correct the tip of my nose at the same time. Dr. Liu said yes he could and he is not even charging for that this year. I thought it was perfect and I scheduled the surgery date. My surgery was already planned, I had my pre-op appointment when I tried to ask as many questions as I could but Dr. Liu's answers were very short and with an attitude as if he was annoyed by my questions. He didn't show any photos of his before and after work, he didn't even explain on the diagram what exactly will be done to improve my breathing. Also he told me that for external work on my nose he will have to make incisions all across the nose. I left and did some research online and found out that surgeries are done two ways: closed or open. Closed - no incisions. Opened - one small incision - cuts across the columella only. I called the doctor’s office next business day after my pre-op appointment to see if I can address couple of my concerns and I sad I can even stop by any time during next three days before surgery. They called me back and told me that they talked to Dr. Liu and he doesn't answer any questions over the phone and he completely booked all two days that he worked before the surgery. They told me that in this case I need to cancel! I was waiting for several month to schedule the surgery and three day before the surgery they told me to cancel it because they don't have time to answer my question! So I cancelled it, had nothing else to do... I have only one nose and I don't want to have scars all over it for the rest of my life that Dr. Liu said would be visible! I scheduled another appointment to come and address my questions. It was something! I have never heard any doctor talk this way. He was rude, didn't really care to listen what I have to ask or say. He said its too bad that I cancelled the surgery because next year he will be charging for external cosmetic work. I was asking to show me on the diagram what exactly will be done for improving my breathing and he said he doesn't have any diagram because its inside of the nose. He didn't want to explain what procedures would he be during the surgery. I had to ask several times same question to get any answer. Finally he showed a little on the diagram and briefly mentioned what will be done. When I asked why you have to cut all across the nose when I researched it could be done even without any incisions or one small cut across the columella - he said nobody is doing closed (no incision) surgery for 15 years already. And right after that he said that I am not understanding him and he will find me another doctor who does what I need with no incision. Seriously? I was just told a minute ago that nobody is doing it for 15 years already?! When I asked if he has any photos of how incisions will look like after surgery he said that he is not charging for it and this is why I don't get to look at any photos! Very unprofessional. Rude and arrogant. I am glad I cancelled. Will be looking for a different doctor.
I was afraid to visit a surgeon because in the past all they would recommend would be surgery. I was pleased Dr. Liu took an interest in my overall health more of a holistic approach. He was thorough with testing and excellent with explaining everything. The diagnoses was a pleasant surprise since I feared the worse, possible vocal nodules or polyps. I was happy to leave with no future appointment necessary just a phone call for follow up in a month.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
24 Years Experience
University Of Toronto Faculty Of Medicine
Graduated in 1994
Dr. Richard M Liu accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Priority Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
Sharp Health Plan
- Sharp Health Blue Choice
- Sharp Health Gold Value
- Sharp Health Performance
- Sharp Health Premier
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsEnt Associates Of San Diego, 5565 Grossmont Center Dr Ste 101, La Mesa, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard M Liu in this video.
Dr. Richard M Liu is similar to the following 3 Doctors near La Mesa, CA.