Get the facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard L Malen has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 26
I saw Dr. Malen for the better part of a decade for MDD. In retrospect, the majority of that time I was "white knuckling" under his care. At the end, when we finally hit on something that actually worked, he took me off of it without warning, and informed me I was, "being dramatic." He wields an unremarkable and predictable arsenal of medications and seems to be oblivious to anything that might be an outlier in a patient with TRD. While he has a decent, avuncular bedside manner, he is not particularly good at actually treating the condition. He is especially paranoid about prescribing anything controlled, even when the patient may be close to suicidal. He should retire with his precious DEA license intact, before he does anyone real harm.
I moved to Los Angeles several years ago where there is no shortage of "shrinks." But I value seeing Dr. Malen so on my trips to NYC several times a year I arrange to see him. He is easy to speak with, and has a lot of experience. I like that he gives feedback and is not a mummy like so many others I've seen before. He always returns my phone calls within a few hours.
48 Years Experience
University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1970
St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital Center
Dr. Richard L Malen accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsRichard L Malen Md, 17 E 96th St Ste 1A, New York, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard L Malen in this video.
Dr. Richard L Malen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.