Dr. Richard Malen Is this you?

3.2

Have you seen Dr. Richard Malen?

Should Retire

Posted on July 21st, 2016

I saw Dr. Malen for the better part of a decade for MDD. In retrospect, the majority of that time I was "white knuckling" under his care. At the end, when we finally hit on something that actually worked, he took me off of it without warning, and informed me I was, "being dramatic." He wields an unremarkable and predictable arsenal of medications and seems to be oblivious to anything that might be an outlier in a patient with TRD. While he has a decent, avuncular bedside manner, he is not particularly good at actually treating the condition. He is especially paranoid about prescribing anything controlled, even when the patient may be close to suicidal. He should retire with his precious DEA license intact, before he does anyone real harm.

I return to New York to see him

Posted on February 28th, 2016

I moved to Los Angeles several years ago where there is no shortage of "shrinks." But I value seeing Dr. Malen so on my trips to NYC several times a year I arrange to see him. He is easy to speak with, and has a lot of experience. I like that he gives feedback and is not a mummy like so many others I've seen before. He always returns my phone calls within a few hours.

He is the best!

Posted on February 16th, 2016

I am very grateful for his care. He has helped me a lot. I would recommend him

Posted on January 7th, 2015

I saw Dr. Malen for ten years. He is an outstanding doctor in every respect.

very good experience

Posted on July 16th, 2013

I am thankful to find a doctor like him. He took the time to listen to my problems, and provided advice and medication that have helped me greatly. I have referred my friends to him too.

Inept, bumbling and checked out.

Posted on March 19th, 2013

Dr. Malen sits typing away, no eye contact, seems to miss things you say, and seems utterly unknowledgeable about the meds he prescribes. I walked into my first appointment and told him what I was on and what I wanted and he gave it to me with a troubling disinterest in determining whether it was a correct or appropriate treatment. I could have walked in and asked for anything, and he would have given it to me, which is troubling. Today, at my second and last appointment, he a good third of my appointment today trying to figure out how to print or email my blood test results. When I got them, turns out he'd forgotten to order a test showing levels of my meds in my system. He did, however, remember to test my prostate specific antigen levels (useless since I'm a 34-year-old woman), my lead levels (almost as irrelevant) and checked me for Lyme disease. Another telling detail: his PDR manual is from 2004. He

Negative experience

Posted on October 15th, 2012

Unfortunately I was comfortable with Dr. Malen and initially believed he provided a great level of care. But when I came in to his office for severe anxiety (I am a young female), I was told- in person and never informed beforehand via email or telephone- that he refused to see me, because in his exact words he felt we "had a fight" (which I don't recall or understand, and don't believe in "fights" in the context of therapy which can't be remedied), and moreover because I didn't have private health insurance anymore. Although I offered to pay out of pocket and via my college health insurance program, he still directly denied me and humiliated me in his office itself. I've never experienced this level of unprofessionalism from a physician or health care provider before and would inform any of my friends to find a different provider. I'm still embarrassed and disappointed over the experience.

Posted on January 7th, 2012

If you are looking for an easy prescription this is the guy to go to. But if you are looking for an accurate evaluation and a caring doctor, DO NOT go to Dr. Malen. He never explains anything, he never reviews my file before my appointments, he never remembers my case history (even when I had a bad reaction to a drug he prescribed), he refuses to call in prescriptions to the pharmacy, he refuses to provide a copy of my medical records to me, he is hard to reach directly on the phone, he does not make any appointments after 5pm, he's very inflexible about scheduling, and appointments last 15 min tops (but of course he charges his entire fee). Bottom line - forget this guy.

Doctor's Response

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I couldn't reach you, despite my best intentioned efforts. Therapy asks a person to open up, to have a trust in the doctor's effort to help, to do the hard work of sharing painful troubles. You didn't want to make the effort and participate. When you asked for a copy of your record, I said I wasn't able at the very moment to copy your file as other people were waiting. I followed up to mail a copy within the same week.

Excellent caring compassionate

Posted on August 28th, 2011

Dr Malen is one of the most caring compassionate doctors I know. He takes the time to listen to your history and is very knowledgable. He is affliated with New York Presbyterian.

Posted on April 16th, 2011

Excellent professional service in every respect

Posted on November 17th, 2010

Does not have a professional bedside manner

Doctor's Response

I make effort to be professional and courteous to my patients. If I somehow I offended you, please let's discuss it.

Posted on May 16th, 2017