More than 22 million Americans of all ages have asthma. Prepare to talk to your doctor about symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard K Mathis has the following 2 specialties
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Pediatric gastroenterologists can treat a variety of diseases and conditions in infants and children related to their liver, pancreas or intestines. If your child has severe or recurrent abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, a pediatric gastroenterologist can help you get to the bottom of it. They can also help identify the many possible causes of failure to thrive in infants.
Other common conditions they treat include Crohn's Disease, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, short gut syndrome and hepatitis C, as well as nutritional disorders like celiac disease and lactose intolerance. In order to diagnose and treat your child’s condition, gastroenterologists can perform colonoscopies and other diagnostic testing before deciding on the best treatment plan.
A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the regular care of children, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of illness in children. Young patients are often more complicated to treat because they are still growing and developing.
While pediatricians may sub-specialize in specific therapy areas like oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, and anesthesiology, in general, pediatricians provide services like vaccinations, health exams, and treatment of common ailments and injuries. In addition, pediatricians are trained to handle the complex emotional and behavioral issues faced by children, especially during puberty.
Pediatricians normally see their patients from birth until the age of 18, although some may agree to treat patients into their early 20s, if requested.
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 15
Love, Love, Love Dr. Mathis. He is truly one of a kind as is his staff especially Gretchen love her. Dr. Mathis has a way of explaining everything in a way anyone can understand and when you don't he will draw you a picture lol. He is so knowledgeable and has the best bedside manner, he needs to be cloned before he retires.
My daughter had spent months in the hospital unable to keep down any food or liquids and being fed through an NG tube. The GI doctor who was seeing her refused to believe that the fundoplication she had when she was 6 had slipped, despite an upper GI at Hoag that had been done prior to admission that showed it had. She diagnosed her problem as being psychological. My daughter was retching up to 40 times per minute and had lost over 10% of her body weight. Finally the pediatrician at MCH asked Dr. Mathis to see her to give a second opinion and he immediately diagnosed a slipped fundoplication. After spending 6 weeks re-gaining weight on TPN she finally had her fundo revised and returned to being the happy, healthy teenager we had always known. I will always be grateful to Dr. Mathis. He is a kind, compassionate doctor and he is extremely knowledgeable. He saved my daughter's life.
A passionate, knowledgeable GI Physician amongst one of most difficult situations...Cystic Fibrosis. We left San Diego in hopes of finding someone to listen to us and help our daughter thrive and after several visits, looking outside the box and listening to our concerns, our daughter is now thriving and not complaining of tummy aches all day. Thank you for your dedication.
My son was admitted into the hospital for severe constipation. I begged and begged for the regular pediatric doctors to get a specialist involved because as soon as they took him off the meds through his ng tube he would back right up again. They refused to get a GI involved until day 8. They than gave me some very rude lady Dr. Herman! I went round and round with her for days and all she wanted to do is point fingers and tell me it was my fault he was so constipated. So after she kept accusing me, and yelled at me I told her NOT to come back to my room. So I talked to some admin people and the next morning Dr. Mathis showed up. All I can say is wow! He was so kind, so clear on his wants as far as tests went his treatment plan and really took my sons fears and concerns seriously and talked to him in a way he would.understand him. We are on day 14 in the hospital, but I do believe we are on the right road to recovery because of Dr.Mathis!
49 Years Experience
University Of California Davis School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1969
Fairview University Medical Center
Dr. Richard K Mathis accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Flex3
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsPediatric Gastroenterology Associates Of Southern California, 1760 Termino Ave Ste 300, Long Beach, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard K Mathis in this video.
Dr. Richard K Mathis is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Long Beach, CA.