Dr. Richard Mccarthy Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Richard Mccarthy?

Don't complain!

Posted on September 8th, 2017

He came so highly recommended, I was very hopeful. My mild scoliosis had become severe with addition of deg. disc disease, extreme nerve pain in lower back made standing or walking unbearable. First round was 2 surgeries, a week apart since much work to be done. Never so much pain in my life as after the first one where they went in through my ribs. When they put the rods in my back, the next day the drain bottle came loose and nurse just discarded it and pulled tube. I didn't know any better. On the 300 mile trip home we were nearly there when it blew puss and blood all over my friends seat and continued to drain another 6 weeks. Now I know better. Surgery #3 Four months later vertabrae fractured and rods had to be extended up to my neck. Surgery #4 was to take out 2 nearly 4" screws he put through my sacroiliac joints as one was loose and jabbing me when I walked. I don't know why it was necessary to put them through there to start with, but I've had to get injections every 3 mo. since for past 6 years and counting. #5 Broken rod Couldn't raise my upper body above hip level, bent totally over. Now I had been partly bent over since I went home from the first 2, making walking and standing exhausting, painful and very difficult. I brought this up every visit and he dismissed like he didn't hear me. A couple times he told me I was just leaning. On purpose? I think not, I had stood in front of stable objects and pushed, i simply could not stand up all the way. All I ever wanted out of this was to walk unhindered like I once did. I found out much later he told my friend who drove me(why he was discussing with her I don't know) that I was just fat and lazy. I did eventually gain alot of weight, could barely walk/stand and severely depressed. But I went home that way so I don't know how me could say that except that he didn't want to tarnish his record. I personally think that's part of his reputation, he just doesn't acknowledge the bad. Anyway, since I had a broken rod I guess, on last one he said at last minute that he would keep me a little longer than planned because while he was in there he decided he'd "stuff some wedges in your spinal canal and see if I can prop you up a little more". That was encouraging. Didn't work. I haven't gone back. I shuffle around as little as possible with a can. Just getting in and out of the car is misery. I've now been in pain and depressed for 16 years. My 5 surgeries took place 2009-2013. Everyone told me that since I'd had surgery no other Dr.would ever work on me. Haven't seen him yet but I found one. I'm afraid it may be too much to fix, will have to see. Not all bad. If you compliment Dr. McCarthy, he's sweet as can be. If you question or complain, stand back. He gets grouchy and stays hateful until it's over. 8 years later I have different pain than I started with, but in more places.

Posted on August 13th, 2016

I had to have spine surgery & I've had amazing results & no complications at all. He is the best spine dr around & thankful he was my dr & I would highly recommend him.

Complete trust.

Posted on May 30th, 2016

Dr.Mccarthy has been treating my daughter for years. He always takes time to answer any questions we have. He always does amazing during her surgeries and I trust him completely!

Posted on March 5th, 2015

Dr. needs to come down to earth in terms of arrogance.

Very arrogant

Posted on March 5th, 2015

Arrogant and harsh. Would not recommend.

Worst ordeal of my life

Posted on March 5th, 2015

Had back surgery 4 weeks ago by this surgeon to remove broken hardware. I have been running a fever and tachycardia ever since the day after surgery. His assistant Dr. Morrell told me the day after I left, "We will get you out of here and you'll be walking those pearly gates soon." Who makes a comment like that? I went back to see him two weeks after surgery to find out why I was having so much pain and he just said he would pray for me and told me to take Ducolax. Four weeks postop today and I can barely move. He said everything is all good. Just walk more and eat healthy. Big joke. Wish I could reverse the clock and not have had this surgery and kept broken hardware in. At least, I could live life. Now each day is a nightmare. Wondering when it will all end.

M.D.

Posted on December 4th, 2013

most arrogant doctor ever encountered. Ended my career. Avoid unless you are a child.

Unsure of Future

Posted on February 18th, 2013

Insensitive to children and parents

Posted on August 22nd, 2012

He lacks consideration of his patients and is unapproachable when asked questions that enable the patient to make an informed decision. However, he seems to be knowledgable in his field based on his status in the medical field.

Posted on February 23rd, 2012

My daughter has been seeing Dr. McCarthy since 1998. She was born with congential scolosis in her neck. He is the best there is. When she was 17months old 15 months after we started visiting him he did a spianl fusion on her neck. The condition she has is very rare and he had to study her case before he could decide what to do. Over the years her neck has straightened up. Dr. McCarthy says it was not him that did it but a miracle for GOD!

Left confused!

Posted on November 9th, 2011

I have no idea what happened at my daughter' visit with this doctor. He was not able to view her MRI results, because of a computer issue , and honestly made us feel like we were crazy for complaining about back pain. He said she just needs to stretch & exercise. My daughter is in pain & has been being treated for a ruptured disk. He pretty much accused me of dragging her there against her will, which couldn't have been further from the truth. I wasted my gas, and time driving almost 3 hours to see this man. Now, we will need to seek help somewhere else.

Excellence in Care

Posted on April 29th, 2011

Dr. McCarthy was my doctor when I was a child, and he is now treating my daughter for scoliosis. I was thrilled to discover that he was still at ACH when my daughter was in need of care, and that care has proven nothing less than excellent. Though unusual, my daughter's curve has improved approximately 10 degrees through Dr. McCarthy's care. Between my catching it early (I knew what to look for) and the care she has received, she has very little curve left. I am always told this is not typical, but I believe that Dr. McCarthy is one of, if not the, best ortho surgeons in America. I would recommend his treatment to anyone in any state in the country. To top off his excellent care, his bedside manner and attitude have never been less than wonderful. I have absolutely no doubt that he cares for his patients as he would want his own children cared for. Thank you, Dr. McCarthy for your care, and for being such a wonderful doctor and person.