Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Richard A Nicklas
Dr. Richard A Nicklas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Reston, VA, with another office in Washington, DC. He has 54 years of experience. His specialties include Allergy & Immunology. Dr. Nicklas is affiliated with George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Nicklas has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Richard A Nicklas has the following 1 specialty
- Allergy & Immunology
Dr. Richard A Nicklas has the following 15 expertise
- Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
- Hay Fever
- Watery Eyes
- Nasal Allergies
- Food Allergies
- Food Allergy (Hypersensitivity)
- Hay Fever (Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis)
- Drug Allergy
- Nasal Polyps
Dr. Richard A Nicklas is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
I saw Dr. Nicklas for the first time today. I was referred by my primary because I believe I could have a dairy allergy. I have also had unexplained symptoms for several years that many specialists have never been able to figure out. Dr. Nicklas spent two hours with me. TWO hours! I have never had a more throrough visit with a doctor. We went over everything - symptoms, travel history, medical issues, etc etc. He was sharp as a tack and explained the science behind the blood and skin tests. Who knows what the tests will show, but I feel like I have someone in my corner who wants to figure out if I do have allergies. It's so nice feeling like you have someone on your side who really wants to help you figure out what's wrong. It's one of the few times I've walked out of a doctors office feeling positive and hopeful.
Rich is such a caring and kind man. He really listens and spends time going over every detail. I wish he was my primary care doctor.
By far the worst experience I have had with a doctor's office in years. They cancelled my first appointment, and after they rescheduled, they confirmed the wrong date. Then, I took off work to make the 3rd attempted first appointment (which took several months to get). After 30 minutes, Dr. Nicklaus walked into the reception area to loudly complain to the assistant that two patients had been double booked. Lots of loud carrying on about whose fault it was and the receptionist mentions to her colleague that the new patient (me) had been scheduled some time ago while the returning patient had been accidentally reschedule just a few days before. Dr. Nicklaus scurried back behind the front desk to hide while his cranky receptionist delivers the news. The verdict - I am told that there will be a significant wait. Unprofessional, rude and discourteous. Add to that, patients are asked to refrain from taking allergy medicine for 5 days prior to the appointment, which meant I had severe symptoms and had spent the weekend in discomfort. I walked out and would not go back if you dragged me!
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Top 10 Doctor - State (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Nicklas is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
54 Years Experience
George Washington University School Of Medicine And Health Sciences
Graduated in 1964
George Washington University Hospital
Dr. Richard A Nicklas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Richard A Nicklas in this video.
Dr. Richard A Nicklas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Reston, VA.