Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard L Pohl has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Richard L Pohl has the following 11 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Substance Abuse
- Birth Control
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Dr. Richard L Pohl is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
I have been treated by Dr. Pohl for depression for a few years and I have found him very professional, kind, insightful and both a wonderful practitioner and human being. Having never been to a psych before I was unsure of what to expect but have developed a true respect for Dr. Pohl! He is the consummate professional and I could not provide a higher rating and recommendation.
Dr. Pohl is definately the best doc I have seen. Ever. He really takes the extra time to listen. And when he listens, he *really* listens. It's like he can read my mind he's so intuned to me. Let's see... -Empathy....check-Knowledge....check-Reliability....check-Attractiveness.....check him ouuuuut! -Bedside Manner......yes please!-Courtesy....a real gentleman....what can i say?! He's got it ALL! Get some!
I've seen many shrinks in my day so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about the business. In my honest and quite humble opinion, Dr. Richard Pohl is by far the best of the best -- you'd be hard-pressed to find a more compassionate, caring, intelligent, reliable, physician. He's been doing his thing for decades and it shows. C'mon people! It doesn't get any better than this! He gets my vote!
Dr. Pohl is a brilliant physician. He is very professional and definitely knows what's up. I would recommend him to anyone.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2012)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012, 2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Pohl is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
47 Years Experience
Harvard Medical School
Graduated in 1971
Dr. Richard L Pohl accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA HMO Blue with Managed Care Behavioral Health
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
Locations & DirectionsRichard L Pohl Md, 84 Highland Ave Ste 311, Salem, MA
Dr. Richard L Pohl is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Salem, MA.