Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Richard S Ponce has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Richard S Ponce has the following 6 expertise
- Weight Loss
Dr. Richard S Ponce has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 7
Rick Ponce is a truly outstanding physician and friend. I was a legacy from my previous doctor at Sansum and somehow was lucky enough to have Dr. Ponce take over my care. He has always been available and open to alternative treatments. I was truly shocked to read the one negative review here. Something is wrong there and it's not Rick or his staff. They have consistently provided me with excellent care and compassionate treatment.
I've had stomach problems for over a year. I can only eat a few things. A colonscopy showed that the inner walls of my intestines had been bleeding, but no gastro-specialist could figure out why. Someone told me that an Internal Med. doctor could help me. But when I saw Dr. Ponce, he yelled at me saying that I shouldn't seek help with my stomach because I've had stomach problems for so long, and why are you coming here? What is different this time than before? We can't figure out what is wrong with your stomach! He basically didn't want to work. He didn't want to sit down and think outside the box. He wants the easy way out by diagnosing by blood-results and test-results, but sometimes you have to look beyond those results to find out what is wrong with a patient. I looked forward seeing him very much, and it turned out to be a very bad experience. He made me believe that nothing can be done about my stomach and I should stop seeking help. I'm bleeding from my stomach, and can only eat very few things. If I follow his advice, I think I will eventually die! He wouldn't care if I died. He has no personal feelings about me, and he just wants easy cases and his pay-check. Don't go see this doctor. He's horrible!
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Ponce is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
29 Years Experience
University Of California Davis School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1989
Ucla Medical Center
Dr. Richard S Ponce accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsSansum Clinic, 215 Pesetas Ln, Santa Barbara, CA
Dr. Richard S Ponce is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Santa Barbara, CA.