Dr. Richard Tyer Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. Richard Tyer?

Worst Neurologist

Posted on July 31st, 2017

I was a patient for about a year. He would send me for testing over and over.....I would ask what for....he would state "I'm the Doctor don't you trust me?" I know my body and I knew there was something wrong. I was loosing my eyesight, having numbness, but he just stuck with "don't you trust me". He was testing me for things that came no where near the issue. He told me I must have sleep problems although that test came back negative and gave me a sleep aid. Luckily I left him as a doctor and three months later I had a car accident because I started having one of those bad head pains I kept telling Dr. Tyer about, and all my eyesight just vanished. At the hospital the neurosurgical doctor explained he removed a brain tumor that had been causing bleeding lesions from my brain and hopefully my sight would return. He couldn't understand why I hadn't felt that or hadn't seen a neurologist yet. When I informed him of Dr. Tyer he laughed and said "everyone knows you don't trust him!"

Mrs

Posted on July 10th, 2015

He was my husbands Dr.; and an excellent one. My daughter is now his patient and I just made an appointment for myself. I have good friends that go to him and we all agree on his and his office personnel's help as exceptional. I know he has to deal with all kinds and one review sounded like a perfect hypochondriac!

He doesn't give the impression that he cares about you when you need him the most.

Posted on September 20th, 2011

My very 1st visit with Dr.Tyer wasn't good at all he made me wait almost 1.5 hours before he even saw me. His staff was nice to me overall. But when I was asking him important questions about my medication and if loosing weight would change the way my medication would effect me he gave me false information he told me not so much. so I believed him and I started to loose weight. When I headed into some problems with my insurance I couldn't see him but since he told me that loosing weight wouldn't affect my meds and my health all that much I believed that everything would be ok. But after my insurance problem was solved in 2 months I got all my test done that he wanted me to. Then starting in the 3 month after I had seen him I had already lost a good amount of weight and I started feeling side effects of my medication. I didn't know what was going on with myself so I called the office. I felt that it was an emergency so that is what I told them and I had told them what I was feeling. The office made it seem like he was too busy for me but they said that would leave him a message. Finally the next day I had called several times before I got a hold of him because my situation was getting worse. When he spoke to me on the phone he was rude to me he wouldn't listen to me that was after I told him what I was feeling and I had more to tell him that was important and he wouldn't listen. He told me that I told the staff that this was an emergency in which I felt it was and he also said that here I am wasting my time on the phone with you when I have other patients also he had said why didn't you call me sooner so this could have been avoided. Well that is exactly what I tried to do and and he was rude to me and ignored me even then. He didn't even try to squeeze me in that day I know that every doctor is busy but he didn't even show that he cared one ounce about me that day and that night I ended up having a siezure at home. Then a couple of hours later when I woke up things were getting worse so my mom took me to the hospital and I ended up sick there as well The amount of meds that Dr. Tyer had me on was to much and it was the meds that was making me sick. If my mom hadn't taken me when she did I was told that I could of died any time or day because it knocked down my sodium level and I was dehidrated from the medication. When the Dr. at the hospital got a hold of Dr. Tyer he tried saying that he didn't prescribed me that amount and his name was all over the prescription. If Dr. Tyer was honest with me at the 1st visit this could have been prevented because he told me that loosing weight wouldn't effect how much medication my body can take all that much and the Doctor at the hospital told me much needed information without me having to ask for it That I never knew and Dr. Tyer never mentioned to me at the 1st visit because of Dr. Tyers dishonesty and noncaringness I could have died. On my final visit with him after I got out of the hospital my mother went with me and he wouldn't even bother to to look at my mother he had his back faced to to her the whole time and he seemed a little nervous. When I stood up for myself to him The 1st thing he said was if you don't like the way I treat you then you can see someone else then he he said he was sorry. But after all I had gone through he was still rude and mean to me and my mother. It was like all he cared about was stuffing pills in me. He didn't seem to care at all about my health. I wouldn't recomend him to anybody because I wouldn't want him to do this to somebody else. The only thing I feel a little responsible for is that I forgot to ask him how to exercise and eat with the medication to loose weight the healthy way but you would think a good doctor would tell you that as soon as you asked him if loosing weight would efect the amount of medication you take because I preety much told him that I wanted to loose weight when I asked him that question. Also Dr. Tyer never told me that my medication required a lot of protein which the hopital told me instead. I was still doing protein shakes but I started 2 weeks before this happened and I was still eating protein before but it just wasn't enough because without knowing I was still over dosing 2600mgs on my medicaton and so I had no idea what was going on with my body or that I was doing things the wrong way.

Posted on September 28th, 2010

Dr Tyer has always been a fantastic nourologist. Unfortunately with epilepsy we have to take meds to control it. Dr Tyer is always concerned about how much medication I take.

Posted on March 30th, 2010

Dr Tyer listens to me. Something I missed with most neurologists. After working with another Dr. that was WAY too pill happy, I hate to take medications. He was willing to work with me to avoid over medicating. I would much rather manage the problem, than keep throwing pills at it. When the seizures suddenly got worse, I called him. He gave me advice over the phone, and told me to call him the next day. When it still hadn't helped, I had an appointment that afternoon. Overall, he is an excellent physician and I have recommended him to others.

Dr. Tyer is an excellent neurologist!!!

Posted on March 29th, 2010

Don't believe the other comment. I have been to several neurologists around Austin looking for answers regarding my epilepsy condition. Every other neurologist I met other than him had horrible bedside manner and didn't care about finding out what the real problem is and what the best treatment is for it. He was able to find out I had seizures multiple times a day which I didn't know about. When he saw I first came in with my kids he did speak his mind and was stern with me about how dangerous that was. I thank him for that because I didn't take my condition seriously and I could've hurt my children. He's very up front and honest, kind, and very concerned about my issues. He spends as much time as I need from him, and isn't like most other dr.'s who get annoyed with questions or just doesn't take time with you at all. I haven't met a better dr, and I've seen plenty!! The office couldn't be any better. As soon as I check in my name is called less than 2 minutes later. Top notch neurologist, and top notch office staff!!

Posted on November 9th, 2009

I feel like he doesnt care about finding the problem, he would rather just put you on meds instead of finding out what happened or why it happened!

Posted on July 10th, 2017