Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Riffat S Ashai has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.<br>He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Riffat S Ashai has the following 10 expertise
- Mood Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Clinical Depression
Showing 3 of 9
Good Doctor - Bad Staff
Self-verified patient of Dr. Riffat S Ashai - Posted on December 17th, 2015
She has a great bedside manner and seems to be very knowledgeable. It took a while to find the right doctor for me, I feel good about our relationship and I think she has a good understanding of what will work for me and is not just passing out meds. The staff seems very immature and insensitive to their work atmosphere.
Accurate Diagnosis and Medication Assessment - Listens and takes into consideration patient experience
Self-verified patient of Dr. Riffat S Ashai - Posted on November 22nd, 2015
Been a patient for 8 years. Excellent with medication. Listens to my experience and preference about medication and answers my questions thoughtfully and completely. She is a listener, not a talker, which accounts for some patient's reviews that claim she is "cold." I have found she focuses on listening, and is very professional and thorough. Her medication decisions have been more accurate than any other psychiatrist I've had. My life is much more calm than before I worked with her. Highly recommend Dr. Ashai
Second Time Wrong Meds, Went to hospital
Self-verified patient of Dr. Riffat S Ashai - Posted on February 14th, 2012
Before I went to the hospital by 911, I couldn't reach her. She has put me on the wrong meds twice, which gave me a bad reaction. The last time I had to visit the hospital. I fired her from the hospital. My company needed sick bank paperwork from me and I had to pay for a form to say she was my doctor. She didn't send the form off or give me my money back. I would not have anyone I know or don't know use her. I don't feel confident in her skills after my hospital stay. And, not being able to get in touch with her, when I was in crisis, is unprofessional to her profession.
University Of Maryland Medical System
Dr. Riffat S Ashai accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Riffat S Ashai is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Columbia, MD.