- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Rita L Ritsema MD
Dr. Rita L Ritsema, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Havertown, PA, with another office in Bryn Mawr, PA. She has 36 years of experience. Her specialties include Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. She speaks English.
Dr. Rita L Ritsema has 2 locations
1010 W Chester Pike Ste 202
Havertown, PA 19083
Dr. Rita L Ritsema has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
Dr. Rita L Ritsema has the following 11 expertise
- Celiac Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Kidney Dialysis (Renal Dialysis)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis C
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
Dr. Rita L Ritsema is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
Best GI Doc Around
Self-verified patient of Dr. Rita L Ritsema - Posted on January 4th, 2017
Dr. Rita has been my GI doctor for 20+ years. I started seeing her the year my father was diagnosed with colon cancer. I see her for reflux and IBS problems too. She has performed six scopes on me during this time with my seventh coming up this year. I would recommend her to everyone. She is kind, compassionate, and a good listener. I've had problems scheduling this year's colonoscopy. I can't seem to talk to a human! Everything requires a prompt! :(
Self-verified patient of Dr. Rita L Ritsema - Posted on February 17th, 2016
Self-verified patient of Dr. Rita L Ritsema - Posted on December 10th, 2015
36 Years Experience
Boston University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1983
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Dr. Rita L Ritsema Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Capital Blue Cross
- Capital BC PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica HMO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- Horizon BCBS OMNIA - TIER2
- Horizon Direct Access
- Horizon HMO
- Horizon OMNIA
- Horizon POS
- Horizon PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- IBC Keystone HMO POS
- IBC Personal Choice PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. Rita L Ritsema
I am a woman in a specialty traditionally dominated by men. I feel I have a unique understanding of the special concerns and fears that women may have when referred to a Gastroenterologist. I try to have a straight-forward and honest relationship with all patients that allows for open communication and mutual respect.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Rita L Ritsema is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Havertown, PA.