Type 2 Diabetes
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Robert A Helsten has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Dr. Robert A Helsten has the following 7 expertise
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
- Family Planning
Dr. Robert A Helsten has 0 board certified specialties
Showing 4 of 15
Dr Helsten has been my primary care physician for almost 5 years. He is honest, polite, very caring (but not real pushy) and extremely patient. I have some complicated medical conditions that require some teamwork to keep in check and he is one of the few GP's I've met that recognizes that some patients know when something is wrong before physicians do and he doesn't take it personal when I disagree with him. He is not afraid to tell me when he is not sure about something or does not know an answer. The majority of my specialists are at UT Southwestern which is well known for its higher standards of care - and many of them compliment Dr Helsten's creative problem solving and medical management skills reminding me constantly that I have a very good GP. It is convinient that his office can do bloodwork, minor surgical procedures and xrays. Although he works in a pain management clinic, he makes a great family and Primary Care physician. He does not treat me poorly when I am crabby and he is very good about helping me feel in control of my own healthcare by insuring I have copies of my labs and educating me when I don't understand something. His patient education has prevented many common medical errors over time. His unique qualities have made him a valuable asset in my life and a couple of times kept me alive. My biggest complaint about him is that he does not see children under 10 years of age so I have to wait another 5 years to hire him as my child's physician - and there have been a few times when I've been in the hospital that I would have rather him be the one managing my care because I trust him the most but he can't really control either of those cases due to where he works.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2012, 2014, 2015)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2012, 2014, 2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Helsten is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
40 Years Experience
University Of Arkansas For Medical Sciences College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
Christus Health System
Dr. Robert A Helsten accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Ambetter Superior Health Plan
- Ambetter Superior Health Plan
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX BlueChoice
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsWolmed, 2436 S Interstate 35 E Ste 336, Denton, TX
Dr. Robert A Helsten is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Denton, TX.