Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Ruvan R Shein has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Celiac Disease
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 25
Where do I start?The worst doctor I have ever gone to! Went to see him for a specific complaint and went through hundreds of dollars worth of testing only to have him tell me everything looked good but couldnt help me figure out why I feel the way I do. So why is the lining of my stomach swollen? He couldnt help me figure it out, nor did he want to discuss and explain my results, but rushed to get off the phone several times. Impatient, unprofessional, and unknowledgeable if you ask me! Went to another Gastroenterologist for a second opinion after Dr. Shein was so unhelpful, only to find out that all the information he told me regarding my tests were false and didnt match up to my paperwork! How does a doctor neglect to tell a patient CORRECT blood work results? According to Dr. Shein my blood work came back fine. But once I got my second option and showed the doctor the same blood work Dr. Shein sent me, I have high sugar levels and am considered Prediabetic.....I think that's important information he should have told me!! I cant believe I trusted him to treat me under anesthesia TWICE! Wish I had done my research before! If you're considering him to treat you, thing again!
I HAVE BEEN GOING TO DR. SHEIN FOR OVER 10YEARS. AT FIRST I WAS GOING TO ANOTHER DOCTOR IN THAT OFFICE BUT I FELT HE WAS NOT DOING ENOUGH FOR ME. ONE DAY MY CO-WORKER(WHO IS A PATIENT OF DR. SHEIN'S TOO) TOLD ME HOW DR. SHEIN IS EXCELLENT WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR PHYSICAL. GUESS WHAT SHE WAS RIGHT. DR. SHEIN MAKES YOU TOUCH YOUR TOES, SPREAD YOUR FINGERS APART, CHECK YOUR EYES, YOUR STOMACH I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT DR. SHEIN. BUT THE ONE THING THAT REALLY STUCK OUT TO ME ABOUT DR. SHEIN IS THAT HE CALLED ME ON A SATURDAY OR A SUNDAY TO TELL ME ABOUT MY RESULTS.(WHAT DOCTOR DOES THAT)AFTER THAT I TOLD MYSELF DR. SHEIN IS A CARING DOCTOR AND HE REALLY IS A DOCTOR WHO CARES ABOUT HIS PATIENTS AND LOVES WHAT HE DOES. DR. SHEIN IF YOU LEAVE NYC I WILL FOLLOW YOU. :) I RECOMMEND DR. SHEIN TO ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A GOOD AND I MEAN GOOD DOCTOR. P.S HE HAS A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR AND HE DOES NOT SUGAR COAT ANYTHING HE SHOOTS RIGHT FROM THE HIP AND TELL YOU LIKE IT IS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND THAT IS ANOTHER GOOD THING ABOUT HIM THAT I LIKE.
Dr. Shein is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
41 Years Experience
Harvard Medical School
Graduated in 1977
Dr. Ruvan R Shein accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- First Health PPO
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
- Healthfirst NY HMO ABCD
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsManhattan Internal Medicine Associates, 145 E 32nd St Ste 303, New York, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Ruvan R Shein in this video.
Dr. Ruvan R Shein is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.