Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Samir Makani
Dr. Samir Makani, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Diego, CA, with another office in Encinitas, CA. He has 18 years of experience. His specialties include Pulmonary Disease, Internal Medicine and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Makani is affiliated with UC San Diego Medical Center, Promise Hospital San Diego and San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Samir Makani has the following 3 specialties
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Critical Care Medicine
Also sometimes referred to as intensivists, critical care specialists are physicians with specialized training in the diagnosis and management of life-threatening conditions. Some of these conditions affect vital organs like the heart and lungs, those that make breathing difficult or impossible, and those that affect entire organ systems, like the renal system.
Critical care specialists are typically found in a hospital's intensive care unit where they monitor patients with life-threatening conditions and make determinations as to the best course of treatment.
- Angiographic Visualization
- Chest Infection
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Lung Cancer
- Tuberculosis (TB)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 17
Dr. Makani has a wonderful approach with his patients! He put me and my husband so at ease during my clinical prior to major surjery. He walked us through the whole thing, stopped so I could ask questions, heard my husband's concerns, broke everything down for us. We felt in great hands the day of the operation & that he remembered what we talked about during the consultation, He followed up & assured that he would be calling with results as he believes in direct contact with his patients. After our 1st meeting, my husband said 'I love him!'
Dr Makani is truly an exception in "doctoring". He is funny, FUN, and exceptionally learned. I can't explain it other than to say he strikes me, continously, as an exceptionally learned man who ALWAYS remembers his patients are people first, whether in the middle of an emergency or not. Eyes on, hands on, reassuring with his face and his touch. Willing with a smile, a hearty laugh, teasing, ready with kindness, backboned by knowledge... This man absolutely does deserve to be far more than he is, so long as he does NOT lose the actual people connection he has. :) Whether fake or real it comes ACROSS as exceptionally real, and I'm a 50 year old, unable to be a) surprised or b) tricked. Prior to Dr Makani I have had 1 GOOD physician in my life, and in retrospect? He comes no where close. The only thing breaking my heart is now watching him work so hard under the whole "WHAT is wrong with her..." thing. Yes Doctor, I can see it, and no, it does NOT cause me to want to give you up. Should you be the last physician I have, I will be content as to the personal, and endless, care I got on the way. Thank you.
I highly recommend Dr. Makani. He is confident, caring, and he listens. I never felt rushed while talking to him. He took his time with me and answered all of my questions, and asked me what questions he needed to know? I feel he has a lot of expertise in his field of medicine, which put me at ease. I am thankful to be one of his patients.
Dr. Makani is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Promise Hospital San Diego
San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center
UCSD Thornton Hospital, La Jolla
UC San Diego Thornton Hospital in La Jolla
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest
UCSD-La Jolla John M and Sally B Thornton Hospital
Dr. Samir Makani accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC SignatureValue Flex3
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Samir Makani is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Diego, CA.