Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar has the following 1 specialty
Anesthesiologists are physicians who are trained to administer anesthetics, which are medicines used to block nerve sensation. Anesthesia can be either local to one specific part of a body, like a tooth, or regional to block feeling to a larger portion of the body, such as during an epidural for child birth. It can also be more general to block sensation to the entire body, resulting in unconsciousness.
Anesthesiologists assist in surgery by determining how much anesthesia is necessary and by monitoring the patient's level of responsiveness and vital signs throughout the procedure. The anesthesia specialist will also bring the patient out of anesthesia and then continue to monitor his or her vital signs post-operation.
Besides assisting in surgeries, anesthesiologists may also treat patients suffering from chronic pain.
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar has the following 1 expertise
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 1 of 1
My wife recently delivered our first child at Emerson Hospital. This review has nothing to do with the L&D staff, the OBs, or the nurses - they were all fantastic. However, she decided to get an epidural part-way through her labor and they paged the anesthesiologist on call, who happened to be Dr. Kumar.He came in the room, said two sentences (we're doing an epidural. Do you have any questions?) and the proceeded to set up and perform the procedure. Not only did he not inform my wife of the risks or benefits, but he also didn't let us know what exactly he was doing as he was doing the procedure. When he missed the first time and she was yelling in pain - both from his malpositioning as well as her contractions - he didn't stop but simply kept going.The twist to all this is that I'm a physician who has performed the exact procedure Dr. Kumar was performing plenty of times and know that, with enough lidocaine, time, and explanation, it can be a very comfortable experience. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want him to take out my displeasure on my wife but it's important that his future patients know - if you have a choice, go with someone else. If you don't, and are stuck with him since you're in the middle of labor, then I hope your experience is better than ours was.
38 Years Experience
Government Medical College
Graduated in 1980
Umass Memorial Healthcare
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar accepts the following insurance providers.
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
Locations & DirectionsEmerson Hospital, 133 Old Road To 9 Acre Cor, Concord, MA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Sanjiv Kumar in this video.
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Concord, MA.