Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Sara W Mayo
Dr. Sara W Mayo, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Portland, ME. She has 24 years of experience. Her specialties include Surgery and Colon & Rectal Surgery. Dr. Mayo is affiliated with Mercy Hospital State Street Campus and Maine Medical Center. Dr. Mayo has received 4 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Sara W Mayo has the following 2 specialties
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Abdominal Pain
- Rectal Pain
- Bowel Resection
- Colon Cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Rectal Bleeding
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 31
I owe my life to Dr. Mayo. She was able to work through a very difficult situation when other highly reputable surgeons had essentially given up. She is brilliant, and has extensive experience and expertise in colorectal surgery. After 13 years, I continue to trust her with my complex post-radiation complications from colon cancer. I have referred many colleagues and friends with colon cancer to her, and all have met with success.
I will be forever grateful that Dr. Mayo was the surgeon assigned to me when I was admitted to the ER years ago. She immediately assessed my condition and determined that emergency exploratory surgery was necessary. Thank goodness she did just that because I had a life threatening medical emergency. Dr. Mayo's quick action and brilliant skills are the reason I am alive today. In addition, I found her to be "down to earth," very easy to talk to, and her "bed-side manner" is outstanding. Thank you, Dr. Mayo. I will never forget you.
Dr. Sara Mayo is excellent! In my opinion, she saved my husband's life. Throughout our whole 8 month ordeal, she and her staff were very accomodating, the bedside manner was great, and she explained everything throughly. I have not met a doctor that seems to truely care about their patients as much as she does. She is very talented at what she does, and we were very fortunate to have her as my husband's surgeon.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016, 2015, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Top 10 Doctor - State (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Mayo is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
24 Years Experience
Boston University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1994
Maine Medical Center
Dr. Sara W Mayo accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Choice PPO - ME
- Anthem HMO Maine
- Anthem Pathway - ME
- Anthem Pathway Enhanced - ME
- Anthem Pathway X Enhanced/Ind Guided Access ME
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsCasco Bay Surgery, 10 Andover Rd, Portland, ME
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Sara W Mayo in this video.
Dr. Sara W Mayo is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Portland, ME.