Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Cancer Get the facts you need about cancer.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Scott C Ulmer has the following 4 specialties
A hematology specialist is an expert in disorders of the blood, the blood forming organs and bone marrow. These doctors diagnose, treat and work to prevent diseases that affect the production of blood and its components, as well as the ability of the blood to perform its many functions, such as coagulation and carrying oxygen to the lungs and tissue.
Hematologists diagnose and treat blood disorders, such as anemia, hemophilia, leukemia, sickle cell anemia, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
Depending on the condition, hematology specialists may treat a patient with a blood transfusion, stem cell transplantation, bone marrow transplant, radiotherapy, anticoagulation therapy or medication.
- Medical Oncology
Think of an oncologist as your main physician for cancer care. After being diagnosed, you’ll meet regularly with an oncologist to explore and manage your treatment options, as well as monitor your condition throughout the process. Medical oncologists are extremely knowledgeable in various types of cancer treatment and can recommend the right method for the type and stage of cancer you’re facing.
They may also refer you to additional specialists throughout your care, but they will always be your home base for questions and support. It’s also worth mentioning that medical oncologists deal mostly with solid tumors while hematologists specialize in cancers that involve blood disorders, such as leukemia.
- Hematology & Oncology
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
- Chronic B-Cell Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Hepatitis C
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma
- Blood Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma (Cancer of Plasma Cells)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 28
Dr. Ulmer and my Neurosurgeon most likely saved my life. Was sent to Dr Ulmer by my Neurosurgeon to determine if Plavix,an anti-platelet, worked on me and also if Prilosec interferred with the actions of Plavix. Dr.Ulmer ran the test which showed results that Plavix most likely would was not working on me. Because there was some general controversy about the reliability of the test, Dr. Ulmer went out of his way to discuss with other doctors (I believe at Duke University) whether the test was reliable and gave me the answers in detail. Based on Dr. Ulmer's information, my cardiac surgeon and I were able to make the decision in favor of cardiac bypass surgery vs. a stent. I could have died if a stent had been used or ended up with emergency bypass surgery. All of this happened in 2009, and I am very grateful to Dr.Ulmer for the time and effort he put in to getting me accurate answers. I do not work for Dr. Ulmer as one of the people who wrote suggested and who called Dr. Ulmer evil. He is definitely not evil and is a caring knowledgeable doctor.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2014, 2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2016, 2010, 2015, 2012, 2011)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
22 Years Experience
Oregon Health & Science University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1996
Dr. Scott C Ulmer accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX Blue Advantage HMO
- BCBS TX BlueChoice
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana HMO
- Humana HMO Premier
- Humana National HMO
- Humana National POS
Imagine Health - Innovative Health
- Imagine Health Innovative Health
Imagine Health - SmartCare
- Imagine Health SmartCare
- Multiplan PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsSouth Texas Oncology Hematology, 155 E Sonterra Blvd Ste 200, San Antonio, TX
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Scott C Ulmer in this video.
Dr. Scott C Ulmer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Antonio, TX.