Get the facts about contraceptive implants, including how they work, the benefits and risks, and what types of doctors implant them.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- Overactive Bladder Facts about overactive bladder (OAB): risk factors, symptoms & causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Sean C Dowdy
Dr. Sean C Dowdy, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Rochester, MN. He has 21 years of experience. His specialties include Gynecologic Oncology and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Dowdy is affiliated with District 1 Hospital and Mayo Clinic Hospital Methodist Campus. Dr. Dowdy has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Sean C Dowdy has the following 2 specialties
- Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic oncologists specialize in cancers that occur in the female reproductive system. This includes ovarian cancer, cervical cancer and endometrial cancer, as well as the less commonly talked about female reproductive cancers like vulvar cancer, vaginal cancer and fallopian tube cancer.
In addition to diagnosing the stage of your cancer and recommending treatment options, they’ll provide care throughout your treatment and help you manage your symptoms. They’ll often work closely with a pathologist and a radiologist to properly diagnose you and determine if your cancer is shrinking or spreading throughout treatment. They’re even trained to administer chemotherapy and to perform surgery to remove cancer when necessary.
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Hot Flashes
- Vaginal Cancer (Clear Cell Adenocarcinoma)
- Ovarian Cancer
- Hysterectomy (Uterus)
- Lymph Node Excision (Lymph node removal)
- Uterine Cancer
- Gynecologic Surgical Procedures
- Endometrioid Carcinoma
Showing 5 of 10
I disagree with an earlier post about bedside manner. Just because Dr. Dowdy does not behave like a circus clown/politician/used-car salesman does not mean that he has no bedside manner. When my life was rocked by a devastating diagnosis, I appreciated Dr. Dowdy's composure and concern. He also has a cool wife, a nice family, and a cerebral interest in literature. He's a well-rounded individual who is more than capable of saving lives.
Dr. Dowdy has NO bedside manner and doesn't know how to talk with his patients. He has no compassion. Our daughter was diagnosed with a rare cancer and he performed the surgery as we were told he was the expert. He is excellent with a knife but from there forward, he's worthless. Most of the battle is recovery and he basically indicated to her that she has one foot in the grave. She's 24 years old and has life ahead of her. After he talked with her, that is when he actually graced us with his presence, she didn't want to live. He had nothing positive to say about what her future held. I confronted him about his bedside manner later via a phone call and he indicated that "I won't lie to my patients". I stated, you don't need to lie, you need to utilize a different selection of words that don't leave your patients wanting to give up and die. I wouldn't recommend Dr. Sean Dowdy. There are other doctors that are better, less egotistical and definitely more compassionate. We've since found that doctor and our daughter is living life again with positive strides.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2012)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Dowdy is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
21 Years Experience
Georgetown University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1997
Dr. Sean C Dowdy accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
HealthPartners - MN
- HealthPartners MN CareChoices
- HealthPartners MN CentraChoice
- HealthPartners MN Distinctions II
- HealthPartners Open Access
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Preferred One PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Medica Choice
- UHC Options PPO
- WPS Group
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMayo Clinic, 200 1st St SW, Rochester, MN
Dr. Sean C Dowdy is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Rochester, MN.