Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Seema P Kumar
Dr. Seema P Kumar, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Leesburg, VA, with another office in Alexandria, VA. Her specialties include Pulmonary Disease and Internal Medicine. Dr. Kumar is affiliated with Inova Alexandria Hospital. Dr. Kumar has received 2 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Seema P Kumar has the following 2 specialties
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Varicose Veins
- Venous Insufficiency
- Angiographic Visualization
- Chest Infection
Showing 5 of 27
Dr. Kumar is one of the best doctors in this country. Years ago she treated my veins over a series of months. Not only did she surround herself with a courteous, friendly and professional staff, she too was courteous, friendly and professional. Like anyone, I was skittish of procedure, having a tube run up a vein in my leg and shut it down. What the heck? Well, Dr. Kumar more than prepared me mentally for the procedure. During the procedure, she was soft-spoken, compassionate and oh so professional. She seemed to take every precaution. Follow-up treatments were as great as they could be. Many years later, some more veins are giving way. This is normal and expected. I returned to the clinic where she used to work. Everything has changed: the staff, the doctor and the location. At first I felt as if I could go through the procedure without her. Reading reviews of this new staff and, myself, finding lapses in their professionalism, I realized how lucky I am to have had a doctor of her caliber treating me so long ago. Now she is about an hour away and I am seriously considering taking on those multiple treks to receive the care she provides. Dr. Kumar is well-worth any drive.
Dr. Kumar now practices in Alexandria, VA at Vein Clinics of America. My dermatologist's office recommended Vein Clinics for irregular/diseased veins in my leg. Dr. Kumar is very thorough and has a wonderful bed-side manner. She is kind, compassionate, and listens to all my questions and concerns. During all visits and procedures Dr. Kumar explained everything, every step of the way. My insurance company was not willing to pay at first for all of the treatments that were needed and Dr. Kumar and her office really "went to bat" for me and put in 110% effort in convincing my insurance of the necessity of my treatments. Dr. Kumar herself called my insurance to speak to them about the issue. With such busy schedules, that's very rare for a physician to do. I highly recommend Dr. Kumar and the Alexandria Vein Clinics of America office.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Kumar is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Georgetown University Medical Center
Dr. Seema P Kumar accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Seema P Kumar in this video.
Dr. Seema P Kumar is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Leesburg, VA.