Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Shani Stein has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Mood Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
Showing 5 of 7
Ive seen Dr Stein for several years. She does take a good amount of time to talk to me but like the vast majority of psychiatrists, she doesnt have great counseling skills or insight. They are just MDs who treat symptoms not social workers or therapists. Though she is in the average range as far as insight and ability to counsel, she is very nice and pretty down to earth and has very good intentions. Many psychiatrists are rude, stoic, miserable pricks who are burned out and hate their patients. Dr Stein is not like that at all and staff are very pleasant. I am a very complicated case however so in her defense, she had her work cut out for her. Ive been ill most of my life and know more about what works for me than the doctors do. Im instrumental in developing my own medication regimen but there comes a point where its time to move on and try another doctor- like when hitting a long period of not improving. All things considered, I would recommend her.
15 Years Experience
Sackler School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2003
Suny Health Science Center At Brooklyn
Dr. Shani Stein accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsHackensack University Medical Center, 60 2nd St Ste 1, Hackensack, NJ
Dr. Shani Stein is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Hackensack, NJ.