Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Shawn M Higgins
Dr. Shawn M Higgins, DO is a Doctor primarily located in Portland, ME, with other offices in Saco, ME and Portland, ME . She has 13 years of experience. Her specialties include Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine & OMM and Family Medicine. Dr. Higgins has received 1 award. She speaks English.
Dr. Shawn M Higgins has the following 2 specialties
- Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine & OMM
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Showing 5 of 7
I just saw that someone rated this doctor the worst. I don't understand how that could be possible! Her approach to care is very holistic and she doesn't like prescribing narcotics or marijuana. That's the only thing I can think of. I was very happy with her and sad that she changed locations. I wil never have a PCP like this again! I am considering driving almost 2 hours to see her again!
On-Time Doctor Award (2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
13 Years Experience
University Of New England College Of Osteopathic Medicine
Graduated in 2005
Dr. Shawn M Higgins accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem HMO Maine
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Shawn M Higgins is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Portland, ME.