Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Sheila Y Garris has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
My aunt needed to establish care in VA from MI. She has many issues and needed a physician right away. I chose Dr. Garris for her certification in hypertension. I called and received a appt the very next day as a new patient. There was a wait but the excellent extremely friendly staff notified me immediately that Dr. Garris was running behind and how long. Dr. Garris nurse Claire, was very pleasant and friendly as well. The office was clean and warm. Dr. Garris did a thorough exam and gave me referrals to see other physicians. The entire office was very different from the service I am use to receiving in Virginia Beach. I would recommend Dr. Garris to anyone. I am also changing my PCP to Dr. Garris.
Very busy practice, the average wait time is to long 2-3hrs. This is not acceptable, especially for elderly people. Some suggestion: Get an office manager to run the office and get it organized(scheduling of patients, billing, etc. , maybe even an Physician assistant or Nurse Practiner to handle the small task appts.,
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Patients' Choice Award (2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2013)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Garris is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
36 Years Experience
Temple University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital
Dr. Sheila Y Garris accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 1
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsTown Center Medical Assocs, 4421 Virginia Beach Blvd Ste 114, Virginia Beach, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Sheila Y Garris in this video.
Dr. Sheila Y Garris is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Virginia Beach, VA.