Get the facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- High Cholesterol Facts about high cholesterol, including risk factors for getting it.
- Obesity Facts about obesity, including causes, risks & doctors who treat it.
- Pulmonary Embolism Facts about pulmonary embolism, including symptoms and risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Shelton W Thomas
Dr. Shelton W Thomas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Henrico, VA, with another office in Henrico, VA. He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Cardiology. Dr. Thomas is affiliated with Memorial Regional Medical Center, John Randolph Medical Center and CJW Medical Center - Johnston Willis Hospital Campus. Dr. Thomas has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Shelton W Thomas has the following 1 specialty
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
Dr. Shelton W Thomas has the following 8 expertise
- Unstable Angina
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Balloon Angioplasty (Coronary Angioplasty)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Myocardial Infarction
- Heart Block
Dr. Shelton W Thomas has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 3 of 3
My experience with Dr Thomas is totally different from the previous reviews other patients have done. He has been with me since day one when I had my heart attack a few years back. I truely believe if he wasn't there with me at the beginning I wouldn't be here now. His bedside manner with me has been everything a person would want from his doctor. He not only handle me as a patient but like I want part of his family. He has help me in more ways then I can mention and I believe in a small way I have helped him as well. He has given me the tools to live a healthy heart life. Thank you Dr Thomas.
I could not recommend this doctor. He has little to no knowledge of heart conditions specific to women. Dr. Thomas stated he does stents and bypass surgery. If this is all he wants to treat, the office should make it known to perspective patients. His comments made it clear he did not take the time to review the test results I sent to him a week prior to my appointment for review. If you need a doctor to think and explore possibilities of difficult to diagnose heart condition, this is not the doctor.
NCQA Heart/Stroke Recognition Program
The NCQA Heart/Stroke Recognition Program was launched in 2003. This voluntary program is designed to recognize clinicians who use evidence-based measures and provide excellent care to persons with cardiovascular disease (CVD) or who have had a stroke.
Bridges to Excellence: Cardiac Care Recognition Program
Cardiovascular disease refers to a number of very serious and costly conditions, including Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD). To encourage more effective treatment and management, BTE worked with cardiac care experts
Dr. Thomas is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
39 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Marshall University School Of Medicine
Dr. Shelton W Thomas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Shelton W Thomas in this video.
Dr. Shelton W Thomas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Henrico, VA.