Get the facts about contraceptive implants, including how they work, the benefits and risks, and what types of doctors implant them.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Menorrhagia Get the facts about menorrhagia, including the causes, symptoms, and doctors who treat it.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Shira R Alter has the following 1 specialty
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
An obstetrician & gynecologist, or OB/GYN, is a physician who cares for women throughout their pregnancies, straight through to the delivery of their baby (obstetrician). They also specialize in annual care, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the female reproductive system (gynecologist). Many physicians specialize in both of these fields in order to provide complete overall health services to women at every stage of life.
Dr. Shira R Alter has the following 11 expertise
- Pelvic Exam
- Menstrual Pain
- Birth Control
- Child Birth
- Pap Smear
- Hot Flashes
- Women's Health
Showing 5 of 22
Self-verified patient of Dr. Shira R Alter - Posted on April 22nd, 2016
Completely incompetent. Do not risk your health with this doctor.
Dr. Alter and her staff are very professional
Self-verified patient of Dr. Shira R Alter - Posted on September 15th, 2010
I am so happy for the service that Dr. Alter and her staff provided for me. I went to her office for my yearly check up on 9/7/2010. I came prepare to spend a long time waiting before the Dr. was ready to see me. To my surprise I just waited like 15 min. I was still filling out my forms when a very nice assistant called me in. 10 min. later I was ready to see the Dr. and she was very professional all the time and told me that she will contact me in 10 days for my results. I was a little skeptical about this appointment since I had a bad experience when the previous Dr. that I went to see early this year, never ever got back to me to let me know the outcomes of my exams. This was very important for me because I had not seen an GYN Dr. in three years. I pictured myself chasing Dr. Alter for my results as it usually had happened to me. Yesterday an assistant called to let me know about my results and I am so happy to that finally I find a GYN doctor who really cares about her patients. Thanks Dr. Alter!
One of the BEST !
Self-verified patient of Dr. Shira R Alter - Posted on June 25th, 2010
Dr. Alter is amazing!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Shira R Alter - Posted on August 24th, 2009
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2015, 2016, 2008, 2010, 2017, 2014, 2009)
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2010, 2015, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
18 Years Experience
Sackler School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Dr. Shira R Alter accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire Blue Priority EPO
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- First Health PPO
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
- Healthfirst NY HMO ABCD
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
More about Dr. Shira R Alter
Shira Alter, M.D. is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology. She received her medical degree from the Sackler School of Medicine in Ramat Gan, Israel. Her residency in OB./GYN was completed at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY. She was a faculty physician at Sheba Medical Center and regional health specialist at Maccabi Health Center in Israel. Dr. Alter is currently the Director of Clinical Trials at Boro Park OB./GYN. Specializing in high risk pregnancy; she specifically treats the pregnant patients diagnosed with gestational diabetes. In addition to her extensive medical background, Dr. Alter has a Masters of Science degree in Psychological Counseling from the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Alter is fluent in Hebrew and enjoys visiting family.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Shira R Alter is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Brooklyn, NY.