Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- High Cholesterol Facts about high cholesterol, including risk factors for getting it.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Shyamal K Mitra has the following 2 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Nuclear Medicine
Nuclear medicine specialists are doctors who have extensive training in the use of nuclear substances, like radiation, to diagnose and treat certain illnesses.
These specialists perform diagnostic tests in which a small amount of a radioactive substance is injected into a vein, inhaled or taken orally by the patient. The radioactive substance then enables the nuclear medicine specialist to use a scanner to detect the radiation level in the part of the body being examined in order to create an image of it with a computer. The images tell the physician whether there are abnormal changes in metabolism which indicate whether a disease or injury is present. These tests are often used to detect cancer.
In addition to detecting cancer, substances like radioactive iodine can be either injected into the blood stream or taken orally to fight cancer and other diseases. After being ingested, the substance is absorbed by the thyroid gland and abnormal thyroid tissues are destroyed.
Dr. Shyamal K Mitra has the following 22 expertise
- High Cholesterol
- Unstable Angina
- Heart Failure
- Nuclear Medicine
- Heart Block
- Pacemaker (Artificial Cardiac Pacing)
- Heart Attack
- Peripheral Vascular Diseases (Peripheral Artery Disease)
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Heart Diseases
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Sleep Disorders
- Blood Clot
Showing 5 of 11
Do not go to this doctor.
This is by far my favorite doctor I've ever been to. He goes above and beyond to help you feel better . They've squeezed me into appointments fast to run tests . Once they discovered what was wrong , I called them to express how I feel and they're right on top of things to get things done to get me taken care of. You don't find doctors that care like this doctor and his staff in this day and age . Wish I had found them sooner
Dr. Mitra's office is the most unprofessional establishment I've ever been. I was scheduled to take a stress test on a treadmill and have an EKG done. Nobody explained to me what they were doing for the exception of "pull up your shirt". As I was getting the Ekg done, another nurse barged right in without knocking! My chest fully exposed! She came right in without introducing herself and sat on the bed of the examination room typing on her laptop. I was afraid I was gonna have my picture taken while my breasts were out. Then they just left leaving me by myself for a good 30 mins. They moved me to a different room where the treadmill was. Then waited there for another 30 mins before telling me they had to move me somewhere else because they needed the room. They had me sitting in the middle of the hallway! I sat there as I watched a young dark skinned nurse w black glasses rub around like a chicken with its head cut off. I sat there for about an hour and the young lady did not say a word to me. The way the place is run its like they don't have enough space and nurses! They have no bedside manners and I definitely do not recommend coming here. You can tell by the nurses demeanor that they don't want to be there as well as the Dr. not being on top of things. No professionalism whatsoever.
Dr. Mitra is leaving KMS, and he will be practicing in Jacksonville, NC. Dr. Mitra is beloved by his patients and well respected by his counter parts throughout the region to included Vidant Care Center (formerly Pitt Memorial Hospital) in Greenville. Even though I do not like the hospital in Jacksonville, Dr. Mitra has been an outstanding physicial to me and my husband so I intend to stay with Dr. Mitra as he transitions to his new practice....yes, he is that good. He is an outstanding cardiologist. I have been treated by him since the mid-1990's.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
39 Years Experience
Gsvm Medical College
Graduated in 1979
East Carolina University School Of Medicine
Dr. Shyamal K Mitra accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsCAROLINA SLEEP CENTER, 260 Memorial Dr Ste A, Jacksonville, NC
Dr. Shyamal K Mitra is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Jacksonville, NC.