Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Simona G Amalathas MD
Dr. Simona G Amalathas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Poughkeepsie, NY. Her specialties include Psychiatry and Neurology. She speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. Simona G Amalathas has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Simona G Amalathas has the following 13 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Mood Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
Dr. Simona G Amalathas is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 5
Very caring and patient.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Simona G Amalathas - Posted on December 19th, 2016
Self-verified patient of Dr. Simona G Amalathas - Posted on January 4th, 2016
Dr. Amalathas stopped treating me after I overdosed. I called her several times while I was in rehab in 2009 to make an appointment on discharge. My messages were never returned by the Doctor. She told my therapist at the time she couldn't help me. We should have had an exit interview. This was totally unethical on her part!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Simona G Amalathas - Posted on June 21st, 2011
Self-verified patient of Dr. Simona G Amalathas - Posted on March 22nd, 2010
I've been seeing Dr. A. for severalyears and have been very satisfiedwith the care I've received. I'vehad several psychiatrist's in the pastbut she has been one of the best. Onemight wait a little longer at the office but it is usually because shedoes not just adjust the medication but takesthe time to stop and actually listen tohow we are doing during the time be-tween visits. I find that this holisticapproach only adds to more accuratediagnostic and proper medicationtreatment. Many psychiatrist's havetotally done away with any therapy atall and some of the patient's may nothave access to anyother theraputichelp. Believe me without this approachthe treatment can sometimes be totallywrong.My own diagnosis can be a difficult oneto treat at times and is further com-plicated by some serious physical problems. Dr. A is very empathicand caring. She is willing to listento the somatic as well as the emotion-al problems I have.I've never had a problem with the office staff. I'm sure that ourdiagnosises can be problematic at timesand a challange to handle till we our-selves are feeling better with theright meds. It does take a specialtype of person to understand and workin this type of field.
Don't use this doctor
Self-verified patient of Dr. Simona G Amalathas - Posted on March 9th, 2010
New York Medical College
Dr. Simona G Amalathas Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP HMO
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Premier Plus HMO Small Groups
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Metro
Locations & DirectionsSIMONA GABRIELA AMALATHAS MD, 22 Ibm Rd Ste 104A, Poughkeepsie, NY
Dr. Simona G Amalathas is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Poughkeepsie, NY.