Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Sofia Gekker has the following 1 specialty
- Adult Medicine
Dr. Sofia Gekker has the following 6 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sleep Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
Dr. Sofia Gekker has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 11
She was extremely unprofessional. I went for anxiety and depression and when I broke down in her office she told me that "I have an unfortunate terrible situation". Instead of giving me medication that I definitely need she told me to go to AA to discuss my issues. Mind you she told me to go to AA not bc Im an alcoholic but bc I have a history in my family. She then went on to talk about herself and how well she has done in life. She made me feel even worse. Do not go to her if you are actually looking for help
Dr. Gekker refused to respond when I had a semi-urgent situation. Didn't return calls and made me wait two weeks for an appointment. This was after I had been seeing her for three years, and it was the first and only time I ever had an emergency and needed her help beyond what was routine. She simply refused to deal with it. At the appointment I told her I was disappointed, and she completely lost it. LOST IT. She actually SHOUTED at me. She should not be practicing medicine. No one working in mental health should ever lose their temper with a patient like that. She's insane.
After being Dr. Gekker's patient for three years, she completely ignored me during an emergency. Her staff made me wait two weeks for an appointment. When I took her to task on her lack of responsiveness, she got defensive and started screaming at me. When I asked her whether she, as a psychiatrist, was unwilling to treat people who are upset, she said "no, i am unwilling to treat people who are rude." This was during a visit that I was paying for out of pocket. I think this says it all.
Elmhurst Hospital Center
Dr. Sofia Gekker accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & DirectionsAllergy And Immunology On Madison, 161 Madison Ave Rm 3A, New York, NY
Dr. Sofia Gekker is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.