Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Sonia G Fernando has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
I could not believe this doctor. I understand the stress of the situation and the job, but her handling of my experience was horrid. I really felt as though she would not listen to anyone. She completely ignored everything I explained about my very relevant medical history, and when I suggested she contact another doctor I regularly see she blew me off. When I offered information on previous tests she became indignant and constantly acted as though I didn't know about my own medical condition. All in all her bedside manner was non-existent. She walked in with an air of supremacy and was incredibly rude to everyone present. When my tests came back negative, the nurses were able to let me know almost immediately. However, I was stuck in the hospital for nearly 8 hours awaiting her "follow up visit." At which point her exact words were "You're tests came back negative, so we will not be putting you on any medication. Take care." Honestly, I'm sure she is a very talented doctor, but I don't need a doctor who is going to constantly treat me, my family, and nurses like garbage just so she can order a bunch of useless tests. My wife is dead set on not returning to St. Mary's simply because of this woman. Dr. Fernando needs to take a step back and realize that she is not the center of the universe and that her patients know a thing or two about their own medical condition.
Kings County Hospital Center
Dr. Sonia G Fernando accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PriorityHealth HMO
- PriorityHealth Priority PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsSonia G Fernando Md, 14555 Levan Rd Ste 312, Livonia, MI
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Sonia G Fernando in this video.
Dr. Sonia G Fernando is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Livonia, MI.