Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Sonya M Vieira has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
Both the negative reviews are obviously written by the same person. Ranting about a doc who did not push alternative treatments (when people generally go to docs for advice about FDA approved medications) is absurd. I hate to see a doc's reputation slammed by a disgruntled patient who could have just taken the over the counter treatment without harassing a doctor about their lack of experience using Omega 3 or whatever else it was this patient wanted to take.
Dr. Vieira is easy to talk to and never pushy with her opinions or treatment options. She goes out of her way to make herself available to patients and seems to take a genuine interest in both her profession and the well-being of the people she treats. I would highly recommend her as both a psychiatrist and therapy provider.
I'm not sure where the other raters are coming from, but Dr. Vieira was very knowledgeable about several alternative forms of treatment for my condition. It is true that she focuses more on medications supported by rigorous scientific testing, but she also advised me knowledgeably about OTC supplements and dietary changes relevant to my condition. She's also funny and laidback, putting even anxious patients at ease.
It is so difficult to find a doctor that is knowledgeable, yet caring and compassionate, but I have found that in Dr. Vieira. She spent a lot of time with me and was able to correctly diagnose and cure my problem. She really helped me get through an extremely difficult time in my life and for that, I am eternally grateful to Dr. Vieira. I would highly recommend her to anybody that was looking for a great psychiatrist.
15 Years Experience
University Of Medicine And Dentistry Of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Graduated in 2003
Dr. Sonya M Vieira accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsDalit R Gross Phd, 352 7th Ave, New York, NY
Dr. Sonya M Vieira is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.