Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Stephen L Kates has the following 1 specialty
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Joint Pain/Swelling
- Knee Surgery
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Bone Fracture
- Hip Surgery
- Knee Surgery (Knee Replacement Arthroplasty)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Herniated Disc
- Hip Surgery (Hip Replacement Arthroplasty)
- Joint Replacement
- Sports Medicine
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 33
Dr. Kates performed a total hip replacement on my right hip on September 12, 2017. When I went to rehab 3 days later I was told it was the best hip replacement they had seen. The rehab center was overwhelmed by my progress and let me go home after about 1 week. I am now about 11 weeks out and my right hip now feels totally natural, like the hip that I was born with before it developed arthritis. One of the best things Dr. Kates did was make me lose weight before he would operate. When I protested, he told me that his brother was my size and he wouldn't operate on HIM until he lost weight either. Very good way to motivate someone. I'm now about 250, down from 330 a bit over a year ago...
I waited 2 weeks for a appointment with his PA (who was excellent). I got a needed MRI. that showed the cartilage was gone in my left hip and the bone was bruised and swollen I could not get a pre op appointment with Dr Kates for 6-8 weeks . I was in a great deal of pain but appointments are scheduled on first come basics. I think Dr Kates should stop taking new patients until his practice is more manageable.
Very easy to make an appointment if you call the appointment line. Offers surgery with extremely little wait time for such an experienced surgeon. Staff is friendly and helpful. To the person that wrote the bad review- you have the wrong Doctor as Dr. Kates only does knees and hips. He does not do hands or elbows. Maybe you should get the right physician before you put in a negative review.
Top 10 Doctor - Neighborhood (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
34 Years Experience
Northwestern University The Feinberg School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1984
Dr. Stephen L Kates accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsVirginia Commonwealth University, 1200 E Broad St, Richmond, VA
Dr. Stephen L Kates is similar to the following 0 Doctors near Richmond, VA.