Dr. Stephen E Mahoney Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. Stephen E Mahoney?

Eczema relief!

After years of trying to find a dermatologist that could ease my daughter’s severe eczema, we found Dr. Mahoney. After only our first visit, he put her on a treatment plan that had immediate positive results. He went outside of the usual steroid creams and ointments and put her on an oral medication that has been working. She has suffered with severe eczema since she was around 6 and now at 11, she is finally getting some relief.

Accessible knowledgeable dermatologist

I have had a few derms over the decades and Dr Mahoney is by far the best I've seen. His office staff is great, his PA's are very knowledgeable, and Dr Mahoney is second to maybe few in the country. Aside from running a little late on my appointments sometimes, everything else is the tops.

i wouldn't send my dog to Dr Mahoney

Nice and Sharp Guy but Doesn't Take the Time

I am heading back to his office for my third diagnosis after the first two addressed only secondary issues. I can't seem to get him to even examine the problem thoroughly as--my sense--he is over-extended. The downside is that I have infected others with a parasite that was not diagnosed.

After having positive patch tests and dx with a certain skin condition. It was advised that I buy from the office a moistuizer and also I was prescribed a cream both to which I had the allergens in it that I had tested allergic to, which made me much worse. I have found that dermatology now is just focused on the cosmetic part of dermatology, because that is where the money is . I have had impossible time finding good dermalogical care for my complex skin conditions.

To follow up on doctors response. I already had known Allergies to many things before I made the trip to Houston, through getting patched test other places. I had already been patched tested twice to the same 80 things, and was still unable to use any product still. This is why my dermatologists wanted me to have more extensive patch testing done. That is why I traveled 8 hours sick, allergic to clothing fabrics and dyes in shoes, etc, for a week, because they advertise on line under his name the Dermatolgists Patch testing Center of excellence.for extensive patch testing for extensive Testing, to many different panels to different things. When I called back to find out why this happened the office manager said they didn't patch test extensively, and I said it is on his website, and she said no because she did the website, and I told her Where to look and she said she didnt know why this was on website. This place is so unorganized. I also talked with the girl that applies the panels at least 6 or 7 times before I made the trip, to let her know of my situation, and that I did not want repeat, on anything because I had already been tested, and said she understood what I needed and why i was making the trip from so far away. Well of course it brought of new allergies, any human being that can read, can read articles from American contact allergy society, that patch testing can cause new allergies. Especially if your tested over and over for same things. That is why I didn't want the same 80, I had been tested for twice already. I really felt mislead, and it put further compromise on my already serious health issues. I only saw this doctor 5 minutes after test was taken off. I left there not knowing that I had been tested for the same things, until I looked at paperwork that night. I was appalled that I hadn't been tested for the dental and metal series I asked for, and the girl told me several times when I asked that was what I was being tested for. I was very plain on what I needed, otherwise I would not have traveled 8 hours, and spent the a couple thousand dollars our of pocket for testing, hotel etc, for a week.

I was very disappointed. I drove from Ms. for extensive patch testing. I already knew i had severe contact allergies and had bee tested for a 100 things. I am very complicated and even allergic to organic cotton. I explained I needed specialized test done for dental and shoe allergy Etc, and sent previous records of what Ihace been tested for. It was a very hard trip with asthma, very sick and staying a week in a hotel. They ended up patch testing me for not what I ask, but for the majority of what I had already been previously tested for. I was misled about what I was being tested for.

Doctor's Response

While HIPAA regulations prevent me from responding directly to a patient on such a forum, at West Houston Dermatology it is always our goal to work with each patient and customize a treatment plan that is right for them. While some patients may come with previous test results, unless they have been conducted very recently, we always begin allergy patch testing with the 80 most common allergens. The reason is because patients can, and do, develop allergies where previously there were none. The baseline allergy patch testing also provides us with results that will determine if the patient can just eliminate allergens from their daily lives or if we need to do additional, more specific, testing. Patients should keep in mind that medical tests are the results of a ‘point in time’ and may not be relied on for long periods. Additional testing may be required based on any results we receive. I would encourage any patient to discuss questions with their doctor.

Excellent Doctor and staff.

Dr. Mahoney is a great and compassionate doctor, however, I can't really say that about some of his staff members. Some of the newer staff and nurse are caring but most of the old staff acts snobby. I'm sure they have lost some clients due to their staff's behaviors because I have thought about that after some of my visits to the office. I have left 2 messages for the nurse to call me back and it's been a week with no return calls. I finally got in touch with one of the nurse and explain to her my problems and she was very resistant to what I was telling her and acted like she was the doctor and knew everything about my issues. I felt that she was not listening to what I had to say and her tone of voice was not friendly. I'm not a confrontational person so I might just have to go look for another dermatologist which is a shame cause I do like Dr. Mahoney.

Not Good For True Medical Issues

If you are having cosmetic procedures done, this practice might be good. For a true medical issue, consider the Houston medical center. I was misdiagnosed after a very brief and limited exam. The treatment I received was wrong. My records were inaccurate. Poor use of time and money.

Doctor's Response

My staff and I pride ourselves on the individual care and attention we give to our patients, therefore, I am very disappointed to receive this type of feedback. Because of the limited information in this posting, I am unable to respond with any clear resolution, however, I will say that we are always available to further discuss any treatment or diagnosis with any patient. Stephen Mahoney, MD

I started getting psoriasis over ten years ago. It came and went, but was never bad until two years ago. It came back with a vengence. I had it on my legs, arms, and especially on my scalp. I have tried everything over the counter, prescription, you name it. I started going to Dr. Mohoney a few months ago. They recommended creams to use, that I had not tried before. They didn't work. So Dr. Mohoney recommended using a biologic medication. I was reluctant trying it because of all of the possible side effects but I was so miserable I decided to try it. It has been only a month and you would not believe the difference!! My psoriasis is almost completely clear on my arms and legs. I can finally wear shorts and skirts in public for the first time in a long time. It has not completely cleared on the scalp, nor has it done anything for my psoratic arthritus but I have only had one injection. I am taking one of the biologic's called Stelara. You get one injection, then one month later you get another one, then after that you only get one every three months. I got another one today so we'll see how it takes care of the rest of my symptoms. Doctor Mohoney is very caring and thorough in explaining the different choices you have if you have the need to try a new biologic injection. I highly recommend him and his staff and will continue going to him now and in the future. I will check back later and let you know how this second injection is working.

Doctor Mahoney is one of the best if not the best dermatologist. He is highly recomended by my children's pediatrician. My daughter has a birthmark on her face, and we have consulted many doctors in the US, including Texas Children Hospital. No one could give a possible treatment plan or even diagnose it besides Doctor Mahoney. As for myself, I was treated for scars by several doctors and plastic surgeons many times without good results. Just only one visit to Doctor Mahoney, the scar appearance improved tremendously. Very knowlegeable Doctor, friendly staff, beautiful office, excellent service!