Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Stephen J Melson has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Hepatitis C
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
Dr. Melson scheduled an endoscopy on my special needs brother who has a lot of disabilities. He was very understanding, very kind and we couldn't have asked for better. He was cautious and did this procedure at the hospital instead of the office. He did a follow up visit that went well and told us in the future if we needed him he would be happy to help us. We really appreciated his bedside manner and his understanding. We don't get that often. I'd recommend him to anyone.
I advised at consult visit had severe allergic asthma and one of those items was ladocaine. Day of colonoscopy, was documented three more times on my chart. Benzocaine was still used even though he was aware of my allergy, coming out of anesthesia, severe laryngical spasms and chest tightened as yet another anaphylactic episode. I was still under anesthesia and he asked me "what do you do in this situation"? Hello, your the doctor! I couldn't speak, anxiety, panic set in., he asked if I wanted to go to ER, you betcha I went.. Then he phoned to ER.. He conveniently forgot I was allergic.. After follow up he still questioned my allergy?? Never again...
Dr. Melson is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
27 Years Experience
The School Of Medicine At Stony Brook University Medical Center
Graduated in 1991
Winthrop University Hospital
Dr. Stephen J Melson accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
BCBS South Carolina
- BCBS South Carolina
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Carelink - Carolinas HealthCare System Tier 2
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsRutherford Internal Medicine Associates, 181 Daniel Rd, Forest City, NC
Dr. Stephen J Melson is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Forest City, NC.