Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein MD
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Memphis, TN, with other offices in Holly Springs, MS and Memphis, TN . He has 37 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine, Cardiology and Cardiovascular Disease. He speaks English.
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein has 3 locations
1938 Crescent Meadows Dr
Holly Springs, MS 38635
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein has the following 3 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
- Cardiovascular Disease
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein has the following 7 expertise
- Weight Loss
- Heart Block
- Unstable Angina
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 8
Self-verified patient of Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein - Posted on January 27th, 2019
Insightful questioner; careful listener
Self-verified patient of Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein - Posted on October 15th, 2018
So glad to have found such a wonderful cardiologist. Dr. Himmelstein has been at this long enough and knows he's good enough that he's not impressed with himself. He's got an easy manner and a gentle sense of humor, and an excellent grasp of medical conditions outside of his specialty, among all of the other attributes a really fine physician should have. I hope I won't have to see him professionally again but, if I do, I'm glad to know he's there.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein - Posted on November 11th, 2016
Self-verified patient of Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein - Posted on September 26th, 2016
Self-verified patient of Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein - Posted on July 16th, 2016
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2016, 2017)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
37 Years Experience
- Univ Tennessee
Duke University Medical Center
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TN Blue Network E
- BCBS TN Blue Network S
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry PPO - TN
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Memphis PPOx
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Qualchoice Statewide Network
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein
I am trained as an Interventional Cardiologist with a special interest in hypertension and peripheral vascular disease.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Stevan I Himmelstein is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Memphis, TN.