Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Steven L. Gonias
Steven L. Gonias, MD,, PHD is a Doctor primarily located in San Diego, CA. He has 33 years of experience. His specialties include Pathology and Clinical Pathology. Steven L. Gonias is affiliated with Promise Hospital San Diego, UC San Diego Health System and UC San Diego Health System.
Steven L. Gonias has the following 2 specialties
A pathologist is a physician who specializes in the causes and paths taken by different diseases in order to accurately diagnose an illness.
Pathologists diagnose and determine the characteristics of a disease through the study of biopsies of diseased tissue or of bodily fluids. For example, a pathologist will look at a biopsy of a skin lesion in order to diagnose or rule out skin cancer. A pathologist will also look at a Pap smear in order to check for a gynecological cancer like cancer of the uterus.
In addition to determining the cause and development of a disease, these specialists also study the changes a disease makes to a body and the consequences of those structural changes.
- Clinical Pathology
If you’ve ever provided a urine or blood sample, you’ve worked with a clinical pathologist — you probably just didn’t know it. They work behind the scenes in laboratories to examine bodily fluid specimens and detect substances or diseases. This means they're required to have a comprehensive knowledge of disease and what it looks like under a microscope.
They provide test results to your doctor, who then makes an informed decision about your diagnosis and the best treatment options for you. Without the work of clinical pathologists, doctors technically wouldn’t be able to diagnose patients as accurately as we can today. It's also worth noting that clinical pathologists are different from anatomical pathologists, who analyze tissue taken from a biopsy or entire infected areas as well as whole body parts.
Steven L. Gonias has the following 7 expertise
- Blood Testing
- Breast Cancer
- Fluid Testing
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Neoplasm Invasiveness
- Tissue Biopsy
Steven L. Gonias is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Gonias is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Promise Hospital San Diego
UC San Diego Health System
UC San Diego Health System
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
UCSD Thornton Hospital, La Jolla
UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest
UC San Diego Thornton Hospital in La Jolla
33 Years Experience
Duke University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1984
Duke University Medical Center
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsUC San Diego Health - Hillcrest UC San Diego Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA
Steven L. Gonias is similar to the following 3 Doctors near La Jolla, CA.