Dr. Stuart Shipko Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Stuart Shipko?

Undermined and invalidated all my issues

Posted on October 14th, 2016

Maybe Dr. Shipko has been in this business for so long and he's jaded by all the patients that come in with problems that are just in their head. Whatever it is, you wouldn't expect a psychiatrist to undermine and invalidate all your issues, especially when you're paying him for his time. Dr. Shipko did not take the time to listen to my issues. He was not empathetic at all. The moment I told him what I had come there because I was experiencing issues with my job and personal life and thought I had ADHD, he basically labeled me as a drug addict and started talking about the history of speed as it relates to children with ADD. Sorry but I hadn't even alluded at all to any medical prescriptions or preferences, I was here to address an issue I've been facing. He immediately judged me based on 5 minutes of me talking, and then dominated the convo with his opinion that ADHD does not exist. Period. After 30 min of lecturing and making me feel like a fraud and an addict (which I am not, needless to say, I barely even drink once a week at the most), he demanded I pay him for the session, oh and mentioned that I might see a bill from my insurance. I've never walked away from a psych session feeling like I needed therapy for my therapy. What a waste of time, money, and emotional investment. It takes a lot to admit you have an issue and to seek help for it, and he is definitely not one of those doctors who will value you as a patient or even a human being. And with this review, I feel a lot better. Thanks Dr. Shipko! Since you won't listen to me, at least the Internet will.

Kind, cool and compassionate

Posted on April 15th, 2015

Really helpful for anxiety

Posted on August 20th, 2013

Dr. Shipko did a careful evaluation of my anxiety. He outlined a treatment strategy that worked for me. I am very grateful and would recommend him to anyone with similar issues.

Watch Out!

Posted on April 26th, 2013

I have seen a couple of psychiatrists to treat anxiety and depression. I also see a talk therapist to help me handle these issues. Dr. Shipko did take a fair amount of time with me but when I asked about his opinion about medication, he said he didn't think I needed it. While he is entitled to his opinion, when I pursued the issue (since I specifically sought out a psychiatrist to help me manage my medication) he accused me of being a drug seeker (not even sure what he meant by that). He told me psychiatric drugs will ruin my life and may cause death in some cases. I asked him why he was a psychiatrist if he is anti-medication which he had no real answer for. I agree that medication is not always the answer but I had been working to manage my conditions without medications with little improvement. He did not seem to listen to or care about why I might need medication. He was against the idea seemingly before he even heard my medical and personal history. Long story short, he is biased against psychiatric medications. If you need or want medication management, absolutely do not see Shipko.

Posted on November 26th, 2012

Terrible experience. Not recommend this doctor at all. Very rude and insensitive.

Excellent Psychiatrist

Posted on March 30th, 2012

A terrific doctor. I have seen 4 different psychiatrists in my battle with depression. Most spent 5 minutes, handed me a prescription and I was out the door. Dr Shipko takes the entire hour! He is a caring and good man and this really comes across during our sessions. He does his best to avoid prescribing medication and looks for the minimum dose in order to avoid the long term negative effects these drugs can have on your system. I can recommend him with highest honors.

A Caring Doctor

Posted on March 24th, 2012

His office is in an old, comfortable Victorian house. He saw me right on time, and spent a lot of time carefully listening to me before commenting. It was really different from my other psychiatrists. Advice was very helpful. Dr. Shipko clearly cares for his patients.

Posted on March 22nd, 2012

He was very considerate and took the time to listen to me describe my issues and we ended up discussing many promising outcomes. Since then I have been back multiple times and I would definitely suggest him, especially to someone who is experiencing panic disorder.

Dr. Shipko, the last, if only, genuine psychiatrist.

Posted on March 17th, 2012

Things to consider when searching for a psychiatrist: Do you want a seedy mechanic telling you there's something wrong with your mind, & it never getting fixed -- or do you want an earnest friend ? If you felt inclined towards the second, you better go to Shipko.There are very few psychiatrists who will actually spend to the time get to know their patients, let alone get emotionally invested in your well being. Expressing my problems to Stuart Shipko has genuinely brought a tear to his eye on occasion. His warm demeanor & honesty when under his care helped me overcome extreme issues with anxiety & hopelessness through his unique humanistic approach.

Dr. Shipko is different... in a good way.

Posted on January 21st, 2011

Right now, he's not accepting insurance but may be soon. He's worth the out of pocket money, even if you can only see him once or twice. He's got vast experience, has authored books and isn't afraid to go against the establishment when need be. His manner is somewhat matter of fact'ish, but he's very kind and I personally really enjoy his straight-forward, honest approach. To me, doctors are easily rated on two things. 1. Are they talented? 2. Do they care. I'd say about 80% of the doctors out there fail in one of those two areas. (If not more.)Dr. Shipko excels at both. He's vastly talented and you'll find that he really does take ownership of his patients. His work has to be trying, dealing with the kinds of disorders he does... but he never gives you that impression. He sticks with you and helps guide you through all arising issues. He's different, and in my opinion... the kind of doctor that we could use more of.

Posted on October 19th, 2017