Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Susan M Smiga has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Susan M Smiga has the following 13 expertise
- Eating Disorders
- Birth Control
- Sleep Disorders
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Substance Abuse
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
Dr. Susan M Smiga is Board Certified in 2 specialties
Showing 5 of 5
My son was a patient of Dr Smiga's for approx 6 months. After we switched to a new medicine, he started to have some side effects that I wanted to discuss with her. I put in 5 calls in 5 days requesting to talk to her and it wasn't until I told her nurse that I was going to file a written complaint, did she get back to me. She started the call with this is Susan Smiga! What can I do for you in a very condescending manner. I knew at that point that I didn't want her to continue to treat my son, she was obviously upset that she had to call me back. This was the first time I requested to talk to her during the time my son was under her care and I guess she won't talk directly to you, but talks through the nurses. Over the course of a week, this entailed me talking to multiple people and telling them the same information. It would of only taken Dr Smiga 5 minutes to pick up the phone and call me. I now have a new Doctor, who told me I can call her anytime(and yes, she will speak directly to me). She also takes the time to talk to Connor, unlike Dr Smiga who would talk directly to me during the visit.
31 Years Experience
Stanford University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1987
Dr. Susan M Smiga accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem Pathway X Enhanced Ind Direct Access NH
- Anthem Preferred Blue Network - NH
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Locations & DirectionsDartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Dr, Lebanon, NH
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Susan M Smiga in this video.
Dr. Susan M Smiga is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Lebanon, NH.