Dr. Tamer A Seckin Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Tamer A Seckin?

I am thankful for Dr. Seckin

Almost a year ago, I had my endometriosis excision surgery with Dr. Seckin. Without hyperbole, it was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. I was really afraid to write this testimonial because of lingering fears that I had before the surgery: fears that the surgery would be unsuccessful, that the disease would come back, or that the procedure somehow wouldn’t improve the symptoms that affected my life for sixteen years. Today, it has been fifty weeks since my surgery, I’m still okay, and writing this won’t jinx that. One of the things that is sad but also wonderful about meeting other women with endometriosis is that we all have similar stories. Mine aren’t all that different. I missed most of my freshman years of high school and college because of this disease. My first week at a big internship, I left work in an ambulance. My mom traveled hundreds of miles to take care of me, sometimes every month, when I was in college and for years afterward. Endo affected the jobs I could take, the places I could live, and of course the health insurance plans I had to sign up for. I couldn’t plan ahead and I often canceled at the last minute. These baffled and frustrated people, and so affected personal and work relationships. After the surgery, I came to understand the biggest impact endo had on my life. I felt very alone with the disease. I didn’t have a diagnosis until I was 28, and it was hard talking about the endometriosis part of my life before it had a clear label. It was especially hard to talk to people my age. Teenagers and 20-somethings are not always great with this stuff. It didn’t help that I spent several years managing pain with opioid painkillers, and was (understandably) instructed to keep my prescription a secret. I did keep it a secret. I also kept the pain and my other symptoms a secret from almost everybody, even my closest friends. Keeping such a large part of my life secret was exhausting and stressful. It was hard to feel close to people because they didn’t understand what I went through every month. It made me feel apart from people. It wasn’t until I had the surgery that I realized the social impact of having endo, for me. Relationships feel different now because there is no longer a big, awful part of my life that I’m also hiding. If I tell old friends a story, I can tell them the whole story. This year, I’ve been able to make plans months in advance, travel, seize opportunities at work, and pursue my passions. I haven’t visited a hospital since my surgery fifty weeks ago, whereas last year I went every month. I manage regular menstrual cramps with normal amounts of ibuprofen, sometimes acetaminophen. I can go to work on Day 1. My flow is moderate to light. I don’t have that weird pain that goes all the way down my legs and up my back anymore. I also don’t have the terrible pain and symptoms related to my bowel that I used to get during my period. Those symptoms evaporated after my surgery. Other symptoms are gone, too—weird ones. For example, it used to be impossible to roll my hips in a full circle, and even tilting them took a lot of effort. Now I can easily do both. I also used to have some chronic discomfort around my vulva, both during my period and at other times of the month. That pain is gone, too. And although this isn’t a physical symptom, I’ve also discovered that I never learned how to build breaks into my work schedule when I had endo. Endo would always inevitably interrupt everything, and I’d have to take a break. Now that I’m healthy, I actually have to schedule breaks. It’s a novel concept. But the biggest difference is that the pain is gone. The wish-I- would-just- pass-out, vomit-inducing, writhing, all-consuming, might-throw- myself-out- the-window pain is gone. And honestly, that alone would have been enough for me. Not having that pain has utterly, wholly changed my life. In the last fifty weeks, I have lived a life I only dreamed about. I am so thankful for my surgery, and I’m going to celebrate when it has been one year. It feels like my new birthday—the beginning of something wonderful. So this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for Dr. Seckin, and I will be for every Thanksgiving after. Thank you.

Saved our daughters life.

Without Dr. Seckin I can confidently say I am scared to consider where our daughter might be. At 14 she began to complain of odd symptoms we could not understand; migraines,a pain under her ribs, severe back pain, vomiting. During her period she would miss school for 3-4 days. A motivated student and passionate athlete, she began to withdraw. She was lethargic and started becoming anxious. My husband and I were conflicted. Often angry that she was missing school and checking out of life, we didn’t know how much to push. By the end of 10th grade she was missing so much school that she was put on home instruction. We desperately searched for answers taking her to; the pediatrician, the neurologist, an endocrinologist, a gastroenterologist, three gynecologists and a psychiatrist. She was prescribed three types of continuous birth control over the course of a year and given vitamin D supplements, Topamax, Imitrex, Prevacid, Valium and Lexapro. Nothing was helping and at 16 she was spending 90% of her time in a dark bedroom. Doctors were telling us there was nothing they could do. After her neurologist recognized a pattern in her migraines and suggested they might be hormonal, I began to look at the possibility of endometriosis. On one particularly dark depressing day, I picked up the phone and called Dr. Seckin’s office. I was barely able to speak, drained from explaining this story to one more doctor’s office. When Holli picked up the phone she gave me her full attention. She spoke to me like she understood and for the first time in over two years, I didn’t feel crazy. We scheduled an appointment and I had a feeling of hope. We met with Dr. Seckin in early October. He asked us many questions about her symptoms. Many of the symptoms he inquired about, my daughter had, but a good number she did not. As she started to say “No” to symptom after symptom, I got nervous and remember feeling physically ill. “I’m wrong. This isn’t it.” I mentioned that I had struggled with infertility and endometriosis, but that my symptoms were never as strong as hers. He seemed to know then that more exploring was needed. Charlotte had an ultrasound and Dr. Seckin scheduled an MRI. He was compassionate, soft spoken and confident, yet I still felt unsure. Endometriosis was my daughter’s disease but it lashed out at me, making me unsure of every decision and of every doctor. I wanted a definite answer. I wasn’t sure I could hold on until surgery to find out. He sensed my anxiety and promised she would get into surgery very soon. Surgery was 11/16/17 We assumed it would take about an hour and we expected to go home that day. But, what is expected is not always what occurs. She went in at 11 and when Dr. Seckin finally came to the waiting area at 1:30 he said, “She was a very sick girl. Endometriosis was on her appendix. I took it out. She will come back” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Her appendix was the cause of her nausea. Dr. Seckin explained how rare this was. The first week of recovery was tough. She was recovering and unfortunately got her period 4 days after surgery. It was very painful and we were really anxious. However, within a few days she started perking up. It’s hard to describe what it is like but the best way is to say that the “light was turned back on”. She had been dark and despondent for so long that we almost forgot the funny, sarcastic, witty kid she is. The second weekend after surgery, she went out with friends Friday and Saturday night. That might be expected for a normal 16 year old but it had not happened in well over a year. She also started making plans for next summer, talking about a job and a writing camp. Our daughter lost a lot in the 2 years she since she started feeling the effects of endometriosis. Her academics suffered and she will likely have a slightly different path toward college, but without Dr. Seckin, college wasn’t even a consideration. Dr. Seckin saved her life and we do not have the words to adequately praise or thank him.

Not what i expected

Im sure Dr Seckin is a very skilled doctor who is able to help many people. My health is worth whatever time and whatever amount of money it takes to feel better. I waited 2 hours to see him, which didnt really bother me, until i met him. The way i look at it, is that he is giving every patient the time they deserve to get all their questions answered and for him to truely learn and understand each patients exact needs. When it was my turn, He was very unprofessional, didnt tell me anything about my condition, and just wanted to schedule surgery and that he'd be able to tell me more once he got in there. When i asked questions, he got nervous, did not look me in the eye, and was almost defensive. That said, we are all human and can all have our bad days. I know i am not always the same person at work everyday, especially when i'm in pain. I was so hopeful and excited to finally see him and was in complete shock and disappointment with how my appointment went. Good luck to all my endo sisters in finding healing. Keep your head up and never lose hope. Keep fighting to get your life back! <3

Disappointed

I just wanted to inform everyone before you even call his office they informed me that Dr. Seckin is out of network for everyone. For you to even book your first appointment its $625 or you have to meet your out of network deductible. Very disappointing. I have his book and read it and could not wait to make an appointment but honestly who can afford that?? I will find another excision specialist who takes insurance.

After 5 years of pain he was able to give me a lot of relief and spent a huge amount of time explaining things and what the options were and what the likely results would be. I had to travel and have a weeks stay in NY to use him. It was worth it.

Dr. Seckin is the best!

Dr. Seckin truly LOVES what he does and cares about his patients from the bottom of his heart. My life has already changed in 3 weeks and I couldn’t be more grateful. Should I ever need another operation for endometriosis, Dr. Seckin will be the one to do it. I recommend him to anyone I encounter with similar problems to the ones I had. Dr. Seckin is obsessed with destroying endometriosis and improving the quality of life for the women who have it. He's frequently traveling the world educating doctors on identifying and properly treating endometriosis. He's the top person on the planet in his field. From Dr. Seckin, to his office team and his surgical team, everyone has been absolutely AMAZING. Dr. Seckin gave me my life back.

truly a rare gem

This doctor is awesome and truly cares and helps one understand what is going on in the body of a person who has severe endometriosis

Dr. Seckin truly saved my life.

Dr. Seckin truly saved my life. After the birth of my second son I became very ill and doctors couldn't figure out why. I was suffering from bladder problems, menstrual problems as well as major fatigue/weakness among other debilitating symptoms. After almost three years of being essentially not functional, Dr. Seckin helped me find a needle in a haystack. He discovered I had a defect on my uterus as a result of my second c-section and performed complex gynecological surgery to fix it. He and his team of amazing doctors also took out my appendix and fixed a hernia and a diastasis recti. He and his staff also answered all my questions and reassured me after the surgery that everything was going to be ok. The surgery was a very important step in my recovery. My quality of life has greatly improved since my surgery. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

best choice

After seeing so many infertility doctors and spending 40 thousand from my pocket , I was never told I had endometriosis. I was told my agonizing pain has nothing to do with infertility.I had my surgery with him almost a year ago my pain has significantly disappeared, and I am pregnant without any fertility medicine.

Fibroids and Endometriosis

Dr. Seckin was the sixth doctor I saw for a long history of endometriosis and multiple fibroids. The first five doctors various treatment plans included: unclear diagnoses, Lupron- it will take care of the endometriosis, repeated ultrasounds, MRIs, multiple fertility tests/procedures, waiting until the pain becomes intolerable, exploratory surgery, laparatomy with a 7-8 incision only for the endometriosis and leaving all the fibroids, no response to my request to have help finding or scheduling with a specialist, no option for laproscopic surgery because of scarring, option of a large vertical incision and total hysterectomy. I was able to see Dr. Seckin within 4 weeks of my initial phone inquiry. He reviewed all of my records to date, did his own ultrasound and presented the option of laproscopic surgery. The treatment plan was to remove the very large fibroid and the one stuck to the bladder. He also planned to remove the endometriosis, freeing the stuck ovary. My procedure included a 4-5 incision as well. My first surgery for these issues did not even address the fibroids and included the 7-8 incision. This was my first with Dr. Seckin. All went according to plan. He did a lot more than what was done in the first surgery and the recovery from his work was so much easier. I would recommend Dr. Seckin for any gynecological issues. I am so grateful for Dr. Seckins knowledge, skill, TRUE expertise, patience, caring, empathic and compassionate nature and for still having my uterus and ovaries. He also spent time talking with my husband and continually asking how he was doing along the way. He said that we might still be able to have children naturally. Just the hope is a gift. Dr. Seckins office staff has been polite, efficient, empathic and respectful. It is a pleasure to have an office visit there!

Excellent Doctor

Crazy

this office only cares about money. They ask you what you do for a living and dr. seckin doesnt explain anything to me he talks to his nurse like she is the patient... I felt like this was a huge waste of time and i realized a huge mistake. Never again.... Never again