Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
About Dr. Theresa A Arvesen
Dr. Theresa A Arvesen, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Alexandria, VA, with other offices in Coudersport, PA and Washington, DC . She has 16 years of experience. Her specialties include Pain Medicine and Anesthesiology. Dr. Arvesen has received 2 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Theresa A Arvesen has the following 2 specialties
- Pain Medicine
Anesthesiologists are physicians who are trained to administer anesthetics, which are medicines used to block nerve sensation. Anesthesia can be either local to one specific part of a body, like a tooth, or regional to block feeling to a larger portion of the body, such as during an epidural for child birth. It can also be more general to block sensation to the entire body, resulting in unconsciousness.
Anesthesiologists assist in surgery by determining how much anesthesia is necessary and by monitoring the patient's level of responsiveness and vital signs throughout the procedure. The anesthesia specialist will also bring the patient out of anesthesia and then continue to monitor his or her vital signs post-operation.
Besides assisting in surgeries, anesthesiologists may also treat patients suffering from chronic pain.
Dr. Theresa A Arvesen has the following 3 expertise
- Cancer Pain
- Acute Pain
- Chronic Pain
Showing 4 of 11
This is the worst doctor I have ever visited. First of all my family doctor left his practice suddenly and left me with no prescriptions. I had been taking pain medications for 3 years. I was panicked because of all the horror stories I had heard of withdrawal symptoms. So I found a doctor on the spur of the moment to write me an "emergency prescription" until I could get to the pain clinic. On my first visit to the pain clinic the nurse took my info and I plainly told her that I had taken my last pain pill the day before and about my situation. I then took the usual urine test. I didn't hear anything for a week. I finally called and set up an interview with Dr. Arvesen. Well- she jumped down my throat about how I had lied and that I had pain medication in my urine. I was mortified! I tried to explain that I had told the nurse about my taking a pain pill the day before but she didn't believe me! Why would I lie? I am not stupid. I know that urinalysis shows everything. She was very hateful and basically refused to even listen! I then asked for my medical record and couldn't believe it that she had written that I was "sloppily dressed"! She's got a lot of nerve seeing how she was wearing sloppy surgical duds. She is the worst.
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009, 2012, 2017, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
16 Years Experience
Indiana University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2002
Indiana University School Of Medicine
Dr. Theresa A Arvesen accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
- First Health PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Theresa A Arvesen, MD - Pain Medicine in Alexandria, VA, in this video.
Dr. Theresa A Arvesen is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Alexandria, VA.