Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Thomas A Smith MD
Dr. Thomas A Smith, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Richmond, VA, with another office in Mechanicsville, VA. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Smith is affiliated with Memorial Regional Medical Center, Bon Secours St Marys Hospital and Childrens Hospital Of The Kings Daughters. He speaks English.
Dr. Thomas A Smith has 2 locations
Dr. Thomas A Smith has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Thomas A Smith has the following 11 expertise
- Migraine Disorder
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Migraine Disorders
- Brain Ischemia
Showing 5 of 6
Self-verified patient of Dr. Thomas A Smith - Posted on February 5th, 2019
sucked and fuucked
Self-verified patient of Dr. Thomas A Smith - Posted on October 25th, 2018
Self-verified patient of Dr. Thomas A Smith - Posted on March 15th, 2016
Self-verified patient of Dr. Thomas A Smith - Posted on September 14th, 2015
Self-verified patient of Dr. Thomas A Smith - Posted on July 14th, 2014
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2017, 2014, 2016, 2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016, 2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
43 Years Experience
Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1976
Medical College Of Virginia Hospital
Dr. Thomas A Smith Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 1
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. Thomas A Smith
Dr. Smith is board certified in neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He received his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia where he also completed a residency in neurology. Dr. Smith has been in private practice at Neurological Associates, Inc. since 1995. In addition to general neurology, Dr. Smith performs electromyography and nerve conduction studies.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Thomas A Smith, MD - Neurology in Richmond, VA, in this video.
Dr. Thomas A Smith is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Richmond, VA.