Is Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr the right Doctor for you?
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr MD
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Columbia, MD, with another office in Catonsville, MD. He has 19 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Abernathy is affiliated with HOWARD COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL Pharmacy, Greater Baltimore Medical Center and University of Maryland St Joseph Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr has 2 locations
10710 Charter Dr Ste 110
Columbia, MD 21044
Book Online Now
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr has the following 10 expertise
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
Dr. Abernathy is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
19 Years Experience
Drexel University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1999
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- First Health PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr
joined Digestive Disease Associates (DDA) in 2008. He graduated with honors from Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. Dr. Abernathy continued his studies in Philadelphia at the Medical College of Pennsylvania & Hahnemann University School of Medicine (now Drexel University School of Medicine) where he received his medical degree. Dr. Abernathy returned to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and attended the Washington Hospital Center in the District of Columbia where he completed his Internal Medicine Residency Program and his fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology. In August of 2005, he joined a private practice in Annapolis, MD. After 2 years, he decided to embark on new opportunities at DDA. Dr. Abernathy is board certified in gastroenterology and a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine. He's also a member of the American Gastroenterology Association, the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the National Medical Association. Dr. Abernathy is a native of the greater Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and loves not only serving, but also being involved in the communities in which he works and resides. When not treating patients, Dr. Abernathy enjoys spending time with his family and pursuing outside interests. These interests include jogging, mountain biking, skiing and participating in various community service and mentoring projects.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr, MD - Gastroenterology in Columbia, MD, in this video.
Dr. Thomas W Abernathy Jr is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Columbia, MD.